Need recommendations for an amp setup for many different headphones
Oct 2, 2012 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Cory722

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a good setup to use for many pairs of headphones, very different headphones at that. I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about, so I'll just explain my situation. I use a laptop, so a DAC is pretty much necessary. I was looking more towards getting a tube amp, and I know there are some with the DAC built in. I currently have a Fiio E9+E7, but I am giving that to my brother.

Basically, I'm just looking for recommendations. I will be driving Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's(250 Ohm), AKG K550's, Ultrasone HFI-580's, Sennheiser HD280's, and I will be getting Sennheiser HD 650's asap.

Budget is around $300, looking for a pretty versatile amp/DAC setup. If you guys could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Schitt dac and schitt amp looks nice and sound great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the recommendation! A quick check on Amazon show's the Schiit Lyr to be $350, which is a little over my budget, but I think I could pull it off. I'm going to wait for more recommendations, and going to do tons of research before making any decisions though.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
So I'm looking for a good setup to use for many pairs of headphones, very different headphones at that. I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about, so I'll just explain my situation. I use a laptop, so a DAC is pretty much necessary. I was looking more towards getting a tube amp, and I know there are some with the DAC built in. I currently have a Fiio E9+E7, but I am giving that to my brother.

Basically, I'm just looking for recommendations. I will be driving Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's(250 Ohm), AKG K550's, Ultrasone HFI-580's, Sennheiser HD280's, and I will be getting Sennheiser HD 650's asap.

Budget is around $300, looking for a pretty versatile amp/DAC setup. If you guys could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier, $155, works fine as a desktop amplifier.
DAC Destroyer, USB DAC, sells for around $55-$60 on eBay.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Thanks!

For use with multiple headphones, I'll recommend a neutral DAC + AMP setup. You don't want a colored amp messing up your headphone's signature.
O2 + ODAC, among the best neutral amps for $285 from JDS Labs, but you can look for it from other places as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back