Need recommendations for a web host.
Mar 2, 2005 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jam_Master_J

Headphoneus Supremus
Someone I know owns a small business and wants to put up a site. We would want to register a www.businessnamehere.ca address for the site. What companies should I be looking into for this and how much should we expect to pay. A lot of storage is not needed, maybe 50 MB tops. We'd like e-mail addresses with said domain. Traffic isn't likely to be high, but they'd like something with little or no downtime.

Thanks,
-JMJ

Mar 3, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 10
Outside of the setup fees, you should be able to find shared hosting for around $10-20 per month. It kinda depends on what other features you're looking for (perl, PHP, databases, SSL). Most venders will provide a strong SLA. Find out though what that company is willing to do if they violate their SLA.

The company that I work for like many other companies has a 99.9% uptime guarantee for our hosting customers. In the unlikely event of the servers being down for more ~40 minutes in a given month, the month is free. It is very unlikely since most of these facilities have physical security, redundant systems for power and connectivity. It has been known to happen (i.e. someone pushing the EPO button shutting everything down).

Anyways, I can recommend pair.com from personal experience. I do not work for Pair. I do use them instead of the hosting service that my company provides.

Mar 3, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 10
I have experience with ixwebhosting and Hurricane Electric (he.net). I've seen momentary and I mean momentary outages with ix, but I have constant problems with my email from HE. Both offer all the features I could ever want: perl, mysql, php, ssi, etc.

Overall, I feel like I'm getting a better deal with ix...$20 a month for unlimited storage, tons of bandwidth, and up to six domains. You can pay as little as $5 a month depending on the storage/features you need. I was paying $10 a month for HE, but was getting killed with extra charges because I supposedly went over my storage limit.

Mar 3, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 10
clarke68 brings up a good point about extra charges. Make sure and find out from whomever you choose, the prices for bandwidth overages.

As far as the "unlimited" storage, I'm sure they'll get you with extra charges since it counts against your bandwidth.
biggrin.gif

edit: fixed typo.

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 10
I've run through the hoops for hosting, for a personal site. I've settled on Site5 for now. They've got an awesome deal going right now, which gives you 1.5GB of space, 50GB of bandwidth (monthly), 2 free domain pointers, every extra you could want, and for $6.95 a month. I'm not affiliated with them, or any other web host, in any way. I just like these guys. Extremely fast response (20 minutes, they claim), good support, and no downtime I can see so far. Very fast, as well. With my last host, Eryxma (which took off... scamming bastards), I was lucky to see 100KBPS. I've maxed out my DSL with Site5, which is about 150KBPS. No idea what the actual possible throughput is.

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I have experience with ixwebhosting and Hurricane Electric (he.net).

I'd like to remove anything I wrote that sounded like a recommendation for ixwebhosting. My sites have all gone down, their tech support people insist that they have not gone down and are about as unhelpful as you could imagine.

I'm in the market myself now...Plan5, did you say, Stephonovich?

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 10
I've used digitalspace.net for 4-5 years now. Very good uptime on both of my domains, $8/month. Can't really complain. Not sure if you could get cheaper.

Mar 15, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I'd like to remove anything I wrote that sounded like a recommendation for ixwebhosting. My sites have all gone down, their tech support people insist that they have not gone down and are about as unhelpful as you could imagine.

I'm in the market myself now...Plan5, did you say, Stephonovich?

Ouch. That bites when stuff like that happens. But anyway, 'twas Site5. They still have their Horsepower plan available (1.5GB space, 50GB bandwidth/month, 2 pointers, unlimited everything else, $6.95/month), so I'd grab that. I have yet to have any problems with them. Every pre-sale question I had was answered quickly and knowledgably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back