Need recommendation on portable MD...
Jul 1, 2002 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BagMan

New Head-Fier
I currently have a MZ-EP11 and a stand alone recorder. I use the portable at the gym but it skips frequently. Cab anyone recommend a good player or recorder that is "skip proof". Cost is a factor.

Thanks to all.

Jul 1, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 21
Just about any current day MD player/recorder is near skip proof. Consider the Sony NZ-N505. $150 for a NetMD recorder with G-protection that also has the Type R ATRAC, something I'm guessing your current recorder might lack.

Jul 1, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 21
I would second that - the cheapest Sony NetMD recorder sounds as good as their most expensive (if not a little bit better even!). The fundemental differences are in the additional features - not sound quality.

I personally use the Sony MDR900 - still going strong and sounding superb but I have tried two of the new NetMD recorders and they were both very good - but no better than the one I have.

I hope this helps.

Jul 1, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for the quick replies. I was looking at the 505. I also came across an MZ-E300 for $83 at etronics. It has 20 sec anti-skip, but I'm not sure if that is enough. Any thoughts?

Jul 1, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Vertigo-1 Just about any current day MD player/recorder is near skip proof. Consider the Sony NZ-N505. $150 for a NetMD recorder with G-protection that also has the Type R ATRAC, something I'm guessing your current recorder might lack.

Vertigo is right.
I have net md 707r , it has never skipped for me.

Jul 2, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 21
Have you guys seen those things (netmd models)? they are so ******** light, i bet I could chuck it farther than...ok, I can't think of anything. They feel really cheap, made of all plastic.

The R50 on the other hand...

Jul 2, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by impoeticpoet
Have you guys seen those things (netmd models)? they are so ******** light, i bet I could chuck it farther than...ok, I can't think of anything. They feel really cheap, made of all plastic.

The R50 on the other hand...

uh my MZ-N1 isnt plastic - it's magnesium alloy.

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #12 of 21
Yes indeed poetic. Nonetheless one has to think about usability, and by today's standards the R50's usability is pretty low if you look at battery life, weight, size, features, and even most importantly, sound quality.

I absolutely love the R50's build quality, don't get me wrong...but build quality isn't the only thing I think about. By today's standards it's just not very useful compared to some of the other players and recorders I have. My R50 will pretty much spend most of its time in the drawer, but I'm still very happy that it's in my drawer at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 21
my net md 707r has 7 treble and 7 bass settings . Thsi has been valuable for me at different listening levels and different headphones. This feature I will never go with out.

Jul 2, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #15 of 21
It depends on what's important I guess.

Sony has the edge in battery life but Sharp has the edge in sound.

Having had a range of Sony portable MD's between 2000-now, I would not go Sony again until they give up their obsession with battery life and go back to engineering MD's that play properly on decent ear/headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back