Need recommendation for Studio headphones with excellent sub-bass
Nov 4, 2009 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kloan

1000+ Head-Fier
Looking for recommendations for a nice studio quality can that has excellent sub-bass response. I currently have some AKG.... umm... don't remember the model.. they cost somewhere around $80 if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I work with electronic music and I like to hear sub-bass. Nice, deep impactful bass. Soundstage, transparency, etc is also essential.

I tend to prefer a darker sound signature, since I don't like bright sounds... I find treble that's too sparkly quite fatiguing, and I don't like mids to be too forward.

Budget is <$300 used/new.

So..... any suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif

[Edit: the AKG's I have are K141 Studio]

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 18
K701 won´t work from your description. I would like to say Pro 900 for the bass but it may also fall on the treble you describe.

435S would be the safest pick for you. It doesn´t have the bass extension of the 900 and perhaps not quite as detailed but it has a superb tone to it and I certainly don´t feel like I am missing out very often with it. It does have great bass and treble like you described very smooth and never annoying. Booring in a good way. 8.35D Monitors is nice in bass as well but you will not get the transparency or soundstaging with that.

I don´t know if I would describe them all that dark though.

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 18
I think the Shure SRH840 falls into your description quite nicely. They extend very low, are nowhere near fatiguing and not too forward.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 18
Which would be the better can, Shure SRH840 or Ultrasone Pro 900?

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which would be the better can, Shure SRH840 or Ultrasone Pro 900?

The pro 900 have to much boost on the bass...and they are not studio hps.
lol, not all of the members here have experience in the studio.
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 18
You're probably right that it's better to get something more suited for in studio use. I need something that will not only sound good, but also deliver accurate sound so I can mix my music properly. The price tag on the Pro 900 is also quite a bit more than the Shures. At the same time though, I want something I will enjoy listening to even when not recording/mixing, etc.

The most important factor for me is that if I have a lot of bass in the mix, the cans will produce it accurately and not distort or sound lousy.

Hmm....

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 18
IMHO you just described the Beyer DT150
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...lliant-265251/

Quote:

Looking for recommendations for a nice studio quality can that has excellent sub-bass response. I currently have some AKG.... umm... don't remember the model.. they cost somewhere around $80 if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I work with electronic music and I like to hear sub-bass. Nice, deep impactful bass. Soundstage, transparency, etc is also essential.

I tend to prefer a darker sound signature, since I don't like bright sounds... I find treble that's too sparkly quite fatiguing, and I don't like mids to be too forward.

Budget is <$300 used/new.

So..... any suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif

[Edit: the AKG's I have are K141 Studio]

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 18
Good question. As it stands right now, I'm plugging them into my 13" Macbook Pro. I have a Shellbrook Audio Lab mini amp, and I was thinking about purchasing an external sound card, such as the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 18
I you get an amp you might want to consider the GM GMP400 or GMP450 Pro.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Good question. As it stands right now, I'm plugging them into my 13" Macbook Pro. I have a Shellbrook Audio Lab mini amp, and I was thinking about purchasing an external sound card, such as the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1.

The AK1 it's cool with the K702 give them a nice warm bass.
k701smile.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #15 of 18
From some of the reviews I've read of the K702, I'm worried I might be disappointed with the bass response.

So far Shure SRH840 and Beyerdynamic DT150 seem to be at the top of my list. Both should be reasonably priced used, as long as they're in mint condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back