Need recommendation/any tip to find what I need

1. woodr141
    I've been looking for something I didn't think would be so hard to find.

I simply want a set of over-the-ear active noise-cancelling 'phones that also have radio reception. I don't need bluetooth since I would use these for mowing and don't like to carry my phone when doing so, but would take ones with bluetooth capability if that's what I have to do to get the active cancelling and radio reception.

Google-searched for a half-hour or so and can't find anything that fits the bill, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    Why not just set a playlist or online radio station on a smartphone sending BT to the headphone, and then leaving the smartphone inside? BT 4.0 is good for over 100ft through light walls. Leave it on a counter by the window.

3. bfreedma

I know 100ft is the spec, but I’ve never gotten consistent connection past 50ft with nothing more than a pane of glass between the devices. Have you had better reception at distances near 100ft? If so, can you share the transmitting and receiving components?

My experience is limited to various iPhones and BT speakers (and remote BBQ temperature monitors).

These have noise reduction and AM/FM radio built in and are fairly rugged.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...tooth-Technology/?N=5002385+3292431446&rt=rud

These are NRR, not ANC. Not sure an ANC headphone with AM/FM exists as the market for these is mostly around safety applications for those who work in consistently noisy environments and NRR is needed for OSHA certification.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  4. woodr141

Well,thanks for the idea, but my yard is much larger than that.

5. woodr141
    Yes, I saw the NRR 3Ms during my fruitless Google search.

6. bfreedma
    Is there a reason you want/need ANC instead of NRR? These are made for exactly the use case you describe.

7. woodr141
    I have 3 sets of NRR headphones now, have used active nose cancelling in the past and know how much better it is for continuous 'droning' situations.

8. bfreedma
    Got it. Not sure what you’re looking for exists - you may need to carry the source with you if you want to go ANC.

9. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    I have a Ye!! BT speaker and a bunch of Samsung smartphones. I can walk indoors and even up the house (concrete outer walls, wood interior walls, all windows shut if BBQ-ing outside), speaker in the patio or dirty kitchen, no signal interruption.

You're pretty much out of luck then apart from FM-only headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013092C...w-K7TVtweTWAwP7r4g&slotNum=0&tag=musicauth-20

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  10. bfreedma

Thanks for the info. Recently picked up a new iPhone with BT v5 - will have to see if that improves the range. My house is also concrete block/wood walls so hopefully will see better results with the new phone. BBQing for the 4th so will try then - with the pork butts in the smoker for somewhere around 18 hours, will have plenty of time to test...

11. odrey
    I have DS18 HDPBT Bluetooth Headphone with Mic and FM Radio -
    my recommendation to visit audioreputation.com

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 6:27 PM