Need Reccs - Gaming and Music Usage
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DKohanski

New Head-Fier
Hi!
I have been gaming on a pair of ATH-AD900X's that I have had to repair the jack on several times due to a mishap on a plane. (Sat up too quickly and broke the damn jack right off.) After a year and a half of being okay on a new jack that I soldered myself, they seem to have finally given up on me.

Anyway, I am looking for new recommendations. The AD900X appealed to me primarily because of the very accurate soundstage that they boasted, and while they served me well in that regard I am hoping to move to something that has a tad more in the lows (though I don't need heavy bass the 900s really were light). I am looking for a new pair that has a good soundstage for gaming and music (hip-hop, DnB, Electronica, Alternative), and also has a bit more in the way of "oomph" if you will.

As another note, I think I want to go for a pair of closed or semi-closed back cans. The leakage (in both directions) was too much for me with the AD900xs. Thanks!

Also if you could include what DAC you would include with your recc let me know.

Oct 14, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 6
How about the Audio Technica ATH-A990Z.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Huh, I suppose that would be the logical choice, since its basically the corresponding closed back model. I did some googling and also found a post where you recommended this set to another person in a similar situation.

Reviews online say that the 990z is the best in the ART Z collection, a balance of price and performance.

I know this isnt the right forum for this question, but if you were to recommend a DAC for this set, for the primary purpose of gaming, what would you recommend?

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Huh, I suppose that would be the logical choice, since its basically the corresponding closed back model. I did some googling and also found a post where you recommended this set to another person in a similar situation.
Reviews online say that the 990z is the best in the ART Z collection, a balance of price and performance.
I know this isn't the right forum for this question, but if you were to recommend a DAC for this set, for the primary purpose of gaming, what would you recommend?
Might depend, a DAC (DAC/amp) does not provide any headphone surround sound features, so your basically getting a stereo audio signal, passing thru the DAC.
Where as an external (and internal) sound card would offer some sort of headphone surround sound feature.
If your OK using a DAC/amp, check out the FiiO Q1 Mark II or Schiit Fulla 2.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you! Ill make a post in the DAC section asking for more advice on that specific issue.

Again appreciate the help. I weirdly think I remember reading a post from you in a thread when I was originally looking at my AD900x's. So indirectly, thanks for helping me pick two of my cans :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back