Need rec for current PCDP/MP3 - Help!
Jul 9, 2002 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jona

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in need if a new PCDP/MP3 player under $150-200US to replace my venerable old (early 90's) RCA unit which is losing its ability to track. Intended use includes 90% on my desk (with my JMT CMOY amp) and 10% use during exercise. I want a true line out & reasonable headphone jack sound, but quality of the included headphones is secondary. Contenders include Rio SP 90,100,&250, Sony D-CJ01, iRiver IMP 150 & 350, & TDK Mojo (reviewed well by cnet). I may also consider the venerable Panasonic SL-CT570 if I can find it new (Crutchfield perhaps??).
I tried the Rio SP-50, but the sound (using CD's or MP3's) was quite disappointing (tried the included earbuds & my Grado SR80's & V-6's). Do the more expensive Rio's sound better?

Any input on the above units (or other suggestions) would be most appreciated!

Jon

Jul 10, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 7
I have the rio 250. i love it, but my brother just got the Iriver 350. Get the Iriver 350. its totally awesome! sound quality is good, it is totally awesome. Iriver anything is better then rio as well. but get the Iriver 350!

Jul 10, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 7
I've had a SlimX and a D-CJ01, and I've kept the D-CJ01.

Depends on what you value most really - in terms of absolute sound quality, the D-CJ01 wins (and personally I like the way it looks better, and the remote is not supergeeky looking), but with anything other than earbuds it's a little gutless. I also like the standard battery compatibility, along with the ability to charge nicads and nimh AA cells - with the SlimX you have to carry around the AA stick if you want to use standard cells.

The SlimX wins hands down on features and volume (allows you to drive phones like the Grado SR60 properly), but not in sound quality. IMHO, it looks cheaper than the Sony, but is considerably better value.

Choose your path...

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Magic...

seem like a few of us are making the same decision now. could you pls. post a link where you can see/buy the Sony WITH remote control. thanks.

thanks for your opinions. a lot of us do want the best audio quality first (esp. no hissssssss), and would give up a few things to get it. i'm with you on batteries; the convenience of double-As outweighs the expense.

specifically on the Sony:
any problem using LAME 320 VBR? (i'd prob. go that way instead of CBR for the capacity)

any problem in number of folders, tracks, or name length per CDR?

Jul 10, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 7
i have used the sony. i didnt like it. yeah it sounded a bit better, but it REALLLy lacked the features that the iriver had. and it doesnt read VBR right. I guess there is a tradeoff, if you are totally for the best sound possible, or features and pretty good sound.

Jul 10, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
i have used the sony. i didnt like it. yeah it sounded a bit better, but it REALLLy lacked the features that the iriver had. and it doesnt read VBR right. I guess there is a tradeoff, if you are totally for the best sound possible, or features and pretty good sound.

You act as if the Sony has a HUGE disadvantage in the features department. This isn't true. As a matter of fact, the SlimX lacks certain things that the Sony has, such as an on-unit LCD, and a virtually flawless skip protection system like G-Protection (the SlimX does skip). And I think the original poster mentioned that he exercises with his pcdp, in which case he would need the uber-anti-skip of the Sony.

I tend to think that the SlimX is overpriced, somewhat geekish looking, and its build quality doesn't seem to be exceptionally solid. The Sony is much cheaper, has that stylish, modern Sony appeal/look, holds its own when it comes to size (it's really one of the smaller MP3-CD players out there), and appears to be solidly made.

Jul 11, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 7
can anyone confirm flawless performance using 320 VBR and the Sony?

...on the other hand, the SlimX has an FM radio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back