Need rec for: <$100, best sound for general music mp3 listening and also gaming
Apr 29, 2006 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ozshadow

500+ Head-Fier
I am seriously considering Grado SR-80's, and slightly considering the SR-60's and Senn px100's.

I do computer gaming of all sorts from mmorpg's to shooters where direction and sound levels really matters.

I listen to cd's on the home stereo and also a creative zen nano plus mp3 player. I listen to pop mostly, some rap and country.

I am looking for the absolute best overall sound for all those uses. The comfort levels, noise blocking, etc, does not interest me. Just the best sound possible.

Thank you.

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 14
Welcome!!

A very Grado-like sound(made by Grado, in fact)which is also great for general music as well as rock and is one buck within your price restrictions, is the Alessandro MS-1.

Unfortunately, as with the SR-80, the soundstage is a bit restricted as well.

For the buck though, a hard set of cans to beat for sound quality!

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 14
When I mentioned gaming, I am not so much interested in the big boomy bassy setups. The only real gaming emphasis I would like to find is a set that can be precise directionally.

The primary purpose is going to be music listening through a portable device. My budget is limited to $100 and below. The headphones need to function reasonably well without an amp.

Thanks for the help.

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 14
I would agree with the A500's for gaming they are pretty much the gaming standard around here. Though I'm not sure how much they cost or anything...

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 14
I believe they are around $150 - out of my budget, and I am hoping there are some that are awesome for music, and also good for gaming.

If worse comes to worse, I'm just getting some Grados ..... hmmm, now the 60's or the 80's.....

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozshadow
I believe they are around $150 - out of my budget, and I am hoping there are some that are awesome for music, and also good for gaming.

The A500s are under $100 full retail and by reports around here would be much better for music than SR-60/80s (they're claimed to be very close to A900s, and I can tell you that A900s are in a completely different class than the low-end Grados...).

This isn't to say you would dislike the Grados, and you might prefer the bright signature of them over the mellower sig of the A-Ts, but there you go.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

If worse comes to worse, I'm just getting some Grados ..... hmmm, now the 60's or the 80's.....

.....or the(Grado/Alessandro) MS-1s.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 14
I like what people say about the MS-1's, but I have a store here with Grado's in it I can hear.

May 1, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 14
the ms-1s are great value, but grados (except for the upcoming gs-1000, which costs $1k) all have a limited soundstage which will not be beneficial for gaming. i'd recommend either the a500s or the akg k240s, which i got today and am loving

May 1, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

I like what people say about the MS-1's, but I have a store here with Grado's in it I can hear.

To be honest you'd be making a huge mistake expecting anything decent in games from a Grado.

The A500 is very much where you should be looking at for gaming. The A500, IMO, is also vastly superior while listening to music than the lower end Grado's also.

May 1, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 14
Even with CMSS on an x-fi the SR60s are terrible for gaming. Go for the ATH A500's in the 100 dollar range for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back