1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

need quick advice re: DX3 Pro vs Schiit Stack etc. while DX3 Pro is on Drop

1. MonoJon
    Hello Forum,

I have been considering the following DAC/amp/bluetooth options. My current IEMs are all 16-32 ohm, and I am considering purchasing AKG K553 MKII for my first full-size cans (also 32 ohm). I want a combo of DAC, amp and bluetooth receiver that can drive these at low to moderate listening levels while also being suited to 300+ ohm models should I decide to upgrade in the future.

I am feeling pressure because the Topping DX3 Pro is back on sale on Drop for $180. Will this suit my needs well, and should I pull the trigger on this now or wait until the 11/11 sale on AliExpress?

Other options I am considering are:

- Topping D30 + Topping A30 + 3rd party bluetooth receiver
    - Schiit Modi 3 + Schiit Magni 3 + 3rd party bluetooth receiver

In summary, which of the three options is best suited to my needs, and should I jump on the DX3 Pro now or wait for 11/11 sale?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

2. buke9
    Sorry but this makes little sense to me. What is the purpose of the Bluetooth receiver?

3. MonoJon
    Oh, that's just for if I am laying in bed and want to stream a podcast or Spotify to my Klipsch 2.1 channel powered speakers, or if I'm feeling too lazy to get up and walk three steps to the album library to grab a CD and instead want to stream lossless files from my cell phone (my phone is Sony and supports all the latest codecs, including LDAC).

4. PurpleAngel Contributor
    I've listened to a Schiit stack and it does sound nice.
    But I like an all in one unit, so I vote Topping DX3 Pro LDAC.
    Also check out the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X (150-Ohm) headphones.

5. MonoJon
    @PurpleAngel Thank you for your thoughts. There is a lot of appeal in an AIO unit as my desk space is at a premium. I have two 27" 2k monitors for photo editing work, and for my 9-5 gig in data analysis, so don't want a bunch of other do-dads on my desk if I can help it. I will research the Sennheiser HD58X. What kind of response/profile does it have? I am a fan of pretty much all types of music, so I want something that is a great "all-rounder".

6. PurpleAngel Contributor
    I've bought about 30-40 headphones over the past 8 years, but currently using my HD58X for TV and computer listening.

7. MonoJon
    I just learned that the new version of the Topping DX3 Pro (V2) has much worse headphone output specs that the V1 version - 10 ohm output impedance and -70 dB crosstalk. I don't think it will be suitable for my low-impedance headphones, so I am left to wait for them to improve it or consider another option, unfortunately.

~ Jon

8. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Ok
    Check out the Xduoo XD-05 Plus.
    https://drop.com/buy/xduoo-xd-05-plus