Need opinions on cans, usually use IEM's
Apr 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Drexel98

New Head-Fier
I've read a lot on the boards since being here, but I'd like to solicit some direct advice from you experts out there.

My current rig is an iPod Touch (16GB) and I've been alternating between the UE Triple.fi 10 and and Shure SE530's. I have just purchased my first serious headphone amp: the iQube, and I will be connecting it via the Qables Silvercab-Pro LOD. I will eventually get a less portable headphone amp for the home rig (which I'm currently not using headphones with), but the initial headphone purchase will be predominantly to listen to the iPod.

I am happy with my IEMs, but want some real cans to take the sound to the next level. I know I will never get the isolation with the cans that I get with IEM's, but I do a lot of listening at work and would like to block out some of the background noise, and also am afraid that if I go with an overly open design that there will be too much sound escaping that would bother my colleagues. I listen to a wide range of music, but probably rock and jazz more than anything else (I know, it's hard to find a set that would do both of them well...).

I have been thinking about DT880, HD650, K701, but honestly my head is spinning and I don't really know which way to go... What else should I consider? Does anyone have a similar rig that could provide some insights?

Thanks in advance...

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Those three phones you have listed are all open and will sound like small speakers to your colleagues nearby. If you want closed cans and the HD650s are in your budget I'd consider the AT A900ti. There are also some closed Sony and more expensive ATs and others will tell you to get Darth Beyers. They are however all huge and while your colleagues won't hear anything they may think you have gone crazy.

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 8
The Beyers may be a viable option and I have been considering them. In terms of my colleagues thinking I'm crazy, that wouldn't be a stretch so as it is... I have a hard time explaining to them while I use an amp at my desk until I let them listen...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Well if that's the case the Beyers get a lot of love on Head-Fi. My understanding is they would have a darker sound sig closer to your Shures than your UEs, but that is based on what I have read not experience. A little searching will turn up heaps of info on them...

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 8
I guess I need to start spending some time over @ Headphile...

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 8
Rock and jazz? Consider Grado. Yes, they're open, but don't worry too much about that. Unless youreally crank it most people aren't bothered by it. It fades into background noise, with phone conversations, ringing phones, office machines, the HVAC, and all the other stuff people learn to ignore. A lot of people here want closed headphones at first, but almost everyone ends up in the open camp.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Which Grado's would you recommend I consider first then? Price isn't a big issue, but that doesn't mean I'd necessarily jump to the most expensive model... although that's usually the way it works out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back