Need Opinions on a pair of can's for active use
Dec 1, 2002 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nbabucks1

New Head-Fier
I'm somewhat new to the board, I'm sure this topic has been covered a few to many times. I want to get a pair of can's for snowboarding, that offer great sound, and are very comfortable to wear. I want to keep this price under 20 bucks too. So I guess, i'm not looking for "great" sound, but the best bang for the buck.

Today I scouted out Best Buy in thier headphone department of the store. I am really only limited to best buy's selecetion, because I want this as a christmas gift, so keep that in mind. I found 3 pair's of Koss' that I chose that are of the active type.

I'm not limiting my search to Koss, but it's one of the few brands at BEst Buy that I trust.

I'm wondering what is your opinions on these 3 headphones:

KSC 19 -
KSC19_lg.jpg

KSC 50 -
KSC50_lg.jpg

Which I hear are really good headphones for the price of the one reviews I have read thus far.

and the....

"The Plug" -
THEPLUG_lg.jpg

I figured "the plug" would sound the best, but I have not ever had a pleasurable expierience with headphones that have stuck in the ear. I always found them very uncomfortable....

also, would all of these fit well underneeth a hat, and not fall out of place while snowboarding???

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!

Kevin

Dec 1, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 10
Fuggedabout the Plug; it doesn't sound good without major modifications. And the KSC-19 sounds well, meh, nothing special. And the KSC-50 is so loose-fitting that it will fall off while snowboarding - and its open design means that any hat that comes close to blocking its vents will screw up the sound quality of that 'phone.

Dec 1, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 10
interesting...thanks for the reply...

then i guess that brings me back to square one.....

I want the best bang for the buck for a pair of headphone's for active use. I would like to stay under 20 bucks if at all possible. I know that is a very low number for a few of you out there...

Any sugestions??

Thanks a lot in advance, i really aprreciate all the sound advice you can get here. I'm also a proud owner of the V6's thanks to this great forum!

Kevin

Dec 1, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 10
And another thing about The Plug:

Best Buy's $24.99 price is WAY too high for it. Koss's MSRP for it is only $14.99.

Dec 1, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 10
Of those, the KSC-50 is CLEARLY the best. However, you have to fiddle with them to get them to stay on.

If you can find a pair, the KSC-35 sounds better AND fits better -- best active headphones, bar none.

They're discontinued, but you can still find them on ebay for around $25.

Dec 1, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Portapro stays on better than the KCS-35 or KSC-50. I
use them with a Muvo for trail running and long distance
training, the combination is perfect - lightweight, reasonably
good sound during when I am active, and it does stay on.
Sometimes I use the KCS-35/50 while on the bicycle or
stair machines.

Hope you find your right fit and enjoy.

Dec 1, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 10
I picked up a pair of the plugs at Target on sale for $12 a while back. Instead of using the supplied foamies I made my own in a few minutes with foam ear plugs. They work great at the gym although the bass is to pronounced for my taste. But they do what I want and that is blocking out the noise from those that use the gym as place to exercise and gossip at the same time.

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson
Portapro stays on better than the KCS-35 or KSC-50.

My experience with the KSC-35 is exactly the opposite. As standard portable headphones, the PortaPros are fairly stable, but can fall off fairly easily. If you clip them on properly, the KSC-35 really stick (in fact, a few times they've stuck too tightly -- it kinda hurts when the cord gets caught on one of the weight machines and the headphones don't want to let go of your ears
wink.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back