Need opinions about headphones, and speakers.
Dec 24, 2011 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

The Magnepan MMG loudspeakers cost $600. Would it produce music less/more realistically than a highly-regarded $600 headphone (exclude the amp/source, etc.)?

How much money would one have to spend on loudspeakers to get the equivalent "being there at the performance" sound quality of a Senn HD-600 (exclude the amp/source, etc.)?

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
Hi all,

The Magnepan MMG loudspeakers cost $600. Would it produce music less/more realistically than a highly-regarded $600 headphone (exclude the amp/source, etc.)?

How much money would one have to spend on loudspeakers to get the equivalent "being there at the performance" sound quality of a Senn HD-600 (exclude the amp/source, etc.)?

A lot of money. The most realistic drum set recording I heard was a very well recorded recording playing on an audio system costing 6 digits and that's just the percussions.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 17
Has anyone had the MMG and say...an HD 600? Help me out here. :)

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Hi all,

Heya,

Even some average monitors and sub will likely sound overall better. Speakers really do take the cake over headphones. I like both, but speakers win hands down. For me headphones are for when speakers are not friendly to others who also don't want to listen.

Very best,

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 17
For monitoring purposes on that budget, monitor speakers will always beat monitor headphones. It's just the physical limitations of the headphone driver versus a speaker. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
A lot of money. The most realistic drum set recording I heard was a very well recorded recording playing on an audio system costing 6 digits and that's just the percussions.

Do you remember the speakers? I know at some of the famous remastering studio's they use B&W 800D's.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 17
You can get some mighty nice powered monitors for $300. You could match the hd600's sound quality fairly well for that much.
This is very true recently, with the advent of affordable, high quality chipamps and T-amps.

I own an hd600, and have heard a few different magnepans. The hd600 is a damn fine headphone. Best $300 I've spent on audio, easily.
However, magnepans are flat out amazing. The way the fill a room -- oo la la, save daddy a bite. You need a nice ($$$) amp though. 

My main speaker setup (DIY MT bookshelves, refurb onkyo receiver, sand filled stands) cost me around $600, and they are better than my hd600's in a few regards.
Also, being able to feel bass is great.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm unfamiliar with the MMG, but to the question of reproducing the "being there" experience - I agree with wuwhere; the systems I have heard that are capable of this are generally very expensive (and most of the money/time is put into the room they're installed in, not just the speakers and amplifiers). A good pair of headphones will set you back a few hundred bucks; a good pair of speakers will start a few hundred bucks and run up into the thousands of dollars quite easily. You also have to take placement and whatnot into account with speakers. 

I like headphones for "critical listening" mostly because I enjoy listening at fairly low levels. Speakers are more of a "I'm moving about" kind of thing. At least for music. Perhaps I'm just too impatient to deal with all of the proper set-up and selection and so on of speakers. Who knows.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I think that I will just settle for headphones, since I'm not ready to spend money on room acoustics. I am still trying to find a headphone that suits my signature preference, but I don't know if there is such a thing. I want neutrality. The HD 600 couldn't be neutral because of the rolled-off highs. The DT 880 is said to be neutral but it has exaggerated highs, and slightly recessed mids. I thought about looking into an electrostatic headphone, but the cheap ones aren't really good in the bass impact area. I honestly don't know what to do. I'm not one of those people that likes to send things back. I want it to be perfect when I get it.

Regarding amps, I would love to have a tube amp, but I am sure that there aren't really any neutral tube amps. They always color parts of the frequency, correct?

Does anyone have any neutral headphone/amp suggestions? Yes, I have used the search function. I've saw all of the same stuff. I am wondering about the new HE-400. I might wait until it comes out, but I don't have any idea what the sound signature of the Hifiman headphones is.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Do you remember the speakers? I know at some of the famous remastering studio's they use B&W 800D's.

Abbey Road uses the 800D. In fact most do. Unfortunately, my immaturity level sees penis in that model.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Abbey Road uses the 800D. In fact most do. Unfortunately, my immaturity level sees penis in that model.

I had forgotten what recording studio used them, and yes it was Abbey Road i was thinking of. Why do you say its a bad thing that they are short? Ive truthfully always wondered the same thing as it seems like you literally have to sit on the floor to be able to listen to them.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 17
You will never get a "perfectly flat" headphone - that isn't what neutral is about. Try the K701 or SA5000 perhaps. I don't think there are any "cheap" electrostatics. They are also not "perfectly flat" in their response (and none of them have lots and lots of bass impact; it's just the nature of the beast).

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I think that I will just settle for headphones, since I'm not ready to spend money on room acoustics. I am still trying to find a headphone that suits my signature preference, but I don't know if there is such a thing. I want neutrality. The HD 600 couldn't be neutral because of the rolled-off highs. The DT 880 is said to be neutral but it has exaggerated highs, and slightly recessed mids. I thought about looking into an electrostatic headphone, but the cheap ones aren't really good in the bass impact area. I honestly don't know what to do. I'm not one of those people that likes to send things back. I want it to be perfect when I get it.

Regarding amps, I would love to have a tube amp, but I am sure that there aren't really any neutral tube amps. They always color parts of the frequency, correct?

Does anyone have any neutral headphone/amp suggestions? Yes, I have used the search function. I've saw all of the same stuff. I am wondering about the new HE-400. I might wait until it comes out, but I don't have any idea what the sound signature of the Hifiman headphones is.

I've actually never heard the 800Ds, but the 802Ds aren't really a problem if you're seated normally. I don't think they're designed with the intention of people standing around though. A bit heavy to put on a lift, but I'm sure it could be done (you know, some 4x4s and quickrete - it'd be no problem).

Quote:
I had forgotten what recording studio used them, and yes it was Abbey Road i was thinking of. Why do you say its a bad thing that they are short? Ive truthfully always wondered the same thing as it seems like you literally have to sit on the floor to be able to listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back