Need new 'phones for use with iRiver H340.
Mar 28, 2006 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

exodus454

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

I'm in the market for a new pair of 'phones to be used with my iRiver H340 (Rockbox... rocks
biggrin.gif
). I've been using a pair of Sony MDR-EX71's for the past year or so, and its time for something better. I'm on my 2nd pair of these things, and they both started to fall apart after a few months of use, not to mention the fact that these things have a 12" cord which is WAY too short, and a 4' extension which makes it WAY too long. The stupid extension connector always gets caught on things too. OH! And the "around the neck" design drives me nuts.

Anyways.

I'm thinking a pair of IEM's would be perfect, but everytime I find a pair that might do the trick I can always seem to find plenty of negative reviews on it. I'm looking for something under $150, with a max of $170, but i'd rather stay away from spending that much for now. I'd also consider some closed headphones but I have yet to find a pair that wouldnt look stupid being worn at school and such. I used to use some Senn HD570's, but sold them because they were so huge and leaked too much sound (yes, I know they're open).

So can anyone reccommend me some IEM's or another viable alternative? I was thinking originally the E2c's but there are some pretty negative things about them around.. also considering the ER-6i's, but I really have no idea which way to go.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 5
ONLY way to go, IMO
biggrin.gif
, is to buy something cheap, like E2c, and save for an amp and some full size cans. You'll be REALLY happy then!

P.S. Buy some Koss KSC 75, which are $20, to keep you satisfied as you save up more for some portable amp and some better cans.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 5
You can pretty much grab a pair of E4s at that price. Very nice pair of IEMs, for a very decent price. The cable routes through the back of your head, however, and you may ot like that.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 5
What kind of music do u mainly want to listen to using this setup? Or what qualities do you most value in ur music (e.g. bass impact, awesome detail, or just an overall 'good' sound)? Would you prefer the straight down or over the ears IEMs. Do you want to avoid needing an amp altogether?

I think these are all important questions...

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
What kind of music do u mainly want to listen to using this setup? Or what qualities do you most value in ur music (e.g. bass impact, awesome detail, or just an overall 'good' sound)? Would you prefer the straight down or over the ears IEMs. Do you want to avoid needing an amp altogether?

I think these are all important questions...

Mostly listen to rock, occasional rap, but mainly rock. I guess I would say I like an overall good sound, looking for something with tight and deep, but not boomy (like a sub). As always, the more accurate the better.

I'd also prefer over the ear, but I'm not too picky. For now I'd like to stay away from an amp, trying to keep the equipment load as small as possible to keep it portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back