Need new headphones much better than Sony MDR-CD280
Sep 24, 2006 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
What kind of music you listen to? What kind of sound you are looking for? Neutral, warm and soothing, bright abd aggressive, ghettoblasterboombox?

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 12
Hello!

I've been reading these forums for a while and bought some ER-4P earphones not so long ago. They are great but I feel that I'm in need of some heavy cans for home use (in the couch for ex) as I believe cans can produce much better sound than "in ear" ones (Am I wrong here). ER-4P:s also needs frequent cleaning the more you use them and I have adapted them for outdoor use as I've "shortened" the cable so they aren't really fit for home use at the moment.

I would need a pair of cans that will blow me away as I have very sensitive ears. My current Sony MDR-CD280 have been with me for a long time but they are really useless with high def audio and they sound horrible. My uses would be [192kbps MP3, 128-192kbps OGG] (Iaudio U3, TV and Audigy 4), CDA, DVDA and gaming (audigy 4 pro). I have direct access to both 3.5mm and 6.5mm outputs but 3.5mm would be preferrable. They need to work with my 3.5mm Iaudio U2, other computers and TV. Would a 6.5mm-3.5mm work? And what about amplifiers, would I need one? They seem very expensive, are there any cheap good ones out there?

I don't have a specific price range but I would gladly accept a pair under 800$. The big question is: Do I really need such expensive headphones? Would 100-400$ be ok? According to http://www.headphonereviews.org/ the best cans takes off at 2000-4000$...
frown.gif

I live in Sweden but the cans don't necessary need to be bought over here.

I've been looking at these ones:

Audio-Technica ATH-W5000
Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Sennheiser HD650
Audio-Technica ATH-W1000
Grado Labs IncHP1000

So, any reflections? I'm thankful for all the help I can get.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 12
That was weird... Nevermind.

Well I listen to all kinds of music, most preferrably soundtracks, relaxation, trance, dance, 70/80 disco classics and rock. My primary choice would be soundtracks like Armageddon, Lord of the rings and The gladiator.
280smile.gif

What about this combo:

Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 Dynamic Headphones $409.00 USD
Audio-Technica AT-HA20 Headphone Amp $149.00 USD
- Voltage Converting Transformer Black +$30.00 USD

???

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 12
Then you can leave Grado out of list. You definetly need something with relaxed sound, wiiiiide soundstage and so on.

AT A900 isnt good since it has recessed midrange. Its made for more bass happy music.

Havent heard this, but W5000 is considered one helluva good headphone. I havent paid any attention with lower Wxxxx models however.

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 12
Read tons of threads about how hard the bigger ATs are to be driven. Also tonally, something like the HD650s might suits better to your genres and listening habits than the brighter highend ATs.

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 12
I wish all threads were like this. Makes it more exciting and at least people would have excuses not reading the original post.
wink.gif

It's unlikely you're going to find a HP1000 cheaply. And it is relaxing. It's different from the other Grados (though GS1000 is also different). Also have to disagree with MaZa that the A900s are "made for more bass happy music" though indeed the midrange is recessed compared to the AKGs, Senns, Grados, etc.

Is $800 your total budget? If so it's likely the money is best used spreading around across phones, amp and possibly source. You could certainly split it in half and get a very good amp and phones. Hell you can get a pair of HD580 for $150 and have $650 left over for amp and computer DAC. Good sound starts at the source, but it's easier to make a big first step with phones.

Usually phones recommended by genre (though there are other ways of doing it) don't really cross disco and soundtracks/instrumentals. That's a little tough, but very good phone recommendations often made are HD580/600/650, AKG K701, Beyer DT880/990, etc. They all need plenty of power. Cans requiring less include the Grados, Senn HD595, low impedance versions of the Beyers, Sonys, ATs, etc. The latters would sound better straight from the portables, but may be overkill for a 128 kbps Vorbis file.

It may be easier to triangulate if you discussed a little more about your likes/dislikes with the Etys. And welcome officially to Head-fi.

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Yes 800$ is total for now. It all depends on how much I wait. Don't wanna wait too much though
smily_headphones1.gif

Well the ER4P are great except bass and I don't get that "wow!" feeling like I thought I would get. I really like the small size IEM's and the feeling of "being free". The ER4 are pretty high end as I understand but I've seen "better". Maybe I should just buy an amplifier and clean my ears more often?
biggrin.gif

So alternatives I see right now would be..

Buying an ER-4S or another IEM and an earphone amplifier.
Buying just an earphone amplifier.
Buying closed/open headphones and an amplifier.

This combination is available for exactly 1000$ over here.

Sennheiser HD-650
Musical Fidelity X-CanV3

Shouldn't be so hard to find a much cheaper store online... For now I'm only fond of Discountheadphones and Audiocubes.

edit:

Mmm, been listening to some higher quality music with my ER-4P and It sounds great. I think I've been listening to much on my K800i radio :/.

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Also have to disagree with MaZa that the A900s are "made for more bass happy music" though indeed the midrange is recessed compared to the AKGs, Senns, Grados, etc.

Well, true. My post was kinda generalisation. Mostly the V-fun curve EQ sounds best in bass-heavy music, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Well keep in mine your ER4P can be adapted to a 4S with the Ety adapter. It's what I use. Add a Hornet or SR71 amp and you may be happy.
wink.gif

Then again there's no doubt IEMs aren't always best for all applications. The phones I listed are all well respected. Keep in mind the HD580 and HD650 are far less different than most here say. At two thirds less (at least in the states) that opens up more for the other parts (or even another phone). And the K701 is the most discussed lately. I preferred the HD650 (with Zu cable single ended), but many feel the opposite and the Zu cable is as much as the phones. And (if portability isn't important) there are DAC/amp combos out there.

I'm sure I'm just making it more complicated,
wink.gif
but you have a lot of options for 1K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Well, true. My post was kinda generalisation. Mostly the V-fun curve EQ sounds best in bass-heavy music, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

True, but I think one of the A900s strengths (besides being great all-purpose cans) is they're great for film watching which I liked with the soundtracks.

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for answering once again!

Where do you find the Hornet and SR71? According to the sticky in the amp section Raysamuelsaudio.com provides a price but I can't seem to find an order feature/store. As I understand it the SR71 is more powerful and bigger? Would it be a big difference between a standard headphone amp and a portable if used with ER-4P (S)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back