Need new headphones/ How to listen to music
Sep 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

locke9342

New Head-Fier
I've had some monoprice 8320's for the last few months maybe a year and one ear finally broke (the wire right up to the driver is frayed). I am pretty rough with my headphones and I need a new pair that is really durable preferably with a detachable cable. What happens a lot with my headphones is that they get stressed a lot because I sleep with them on and end up waking up with them tangled up around my body and I sometimes drop them in my bag full of books and stuff.  I have a budget of around $40 although I would like to spend less. Okay second part of the question How should I listen to music for the best quality? I have heard a lot of people rant about using youtube which I tend to do... and on my tablet I just use the stock player. What should I use to listen on the browser (is Pandora good quality?) on desktop and on android? 

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 10
You don't really need a case, they seem like pretty rugged headphones. Just stop sleeping in them 
tongue.gif

As for sound quality, try to listen to audio with high bitrates. Try to stick to 256 or 320 kbps, as for most people these will be indistinguishable from the original CD. You may be able to get away with 192 kbps too, but anything less than that and you might start noticing  compression artifacts. If you're going to listen to YouTube, listen at 720 or 1080p, as those use 192 kbps AAC compression. This is only an upper limit though; the actual sound quality depends on what was uploaded, which is why YouTube will be hit or miss.

Pandora has pretty cruddy bitrates, only 64 kbps AAC for free listeners and mobiles (about comparable to 240p on YouTube) and you have to pay for 192 kbps AAC. Spotify might be better for you; free listeners get 160 kbps OGG (a format that's arguably better than AAC at low bitrates) and subscribers get 320 kbps OGG.

EDIT: Actually it looks like YouTube uses 192 kbps AAC for all video qualities now, so play whatever size you want!

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 10
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore if you can find them..

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 10
  Those are a bit price(well at least on amazon $52) are they worth it,because I've head that the pistons are the best iem under $200

I have both and the Tenores are definitely better than the Pistons.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Those are a bit price(well at least on amazon $52) are they worth it,because I've head that the pistons are the best iem under $200

You should disregard any claim like that and ignore anyone who says something like that. There are definitely better headphones and IEMs as you go up in price.

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 10
It looks like, based on some reviews on amazon, that one ear bud tends to fail over time and me being fairly rough with my earbuds that this would be a problem for me too with the tenores 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back