Need new headphones for metal music <$300
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

PomPWNius

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I am looking at new cans for listening to metal music. I like to have the mids louder than everything, and with a very strong treble as well. Bass is also important to me, but not as much as mids. I can go up to about $300... but if theres something thats like waaay better than everything else for about $350, I wouldn't mind going a little higher. They can be open or closed, but comfort is very important to me. I have been looking at the V-Moda M100's, but I have heard denon is really good too. What do you guys think I should consider?

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 16
Metal is a tough genre for headphones, speaking as a metalhead. There's the Grados of course pick your price point. With metal since honestly much of it is compressed and poorly mastered you're better off with something lower end. Grado SR80 is very good for metal and rock. Like mine a lot. I have not heard the SR325 but folks say they work well for metal...and they are made of metal!
\m/

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 16
As a curve ball, if you would consider IEM's, the Vsonic GR02 Bass edition are awesome for metal IMO.

Worth looking at a few threads on them, cheap  (<$40 on ebay), so if they are not the sound you like, no major loss.

I've bought 2 pairs of cans in the last 3 months and a dozen IEM's and Cans in the last 12 months (mainly budget). Not a stereophile sound, but many fans.

Oh, and bumping twice within the first 8 hours... A bit much?

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 16
I used to have the Grado sr80 but I think the treble is a bit too hot and rough and it has no low bass, just a midbass hump and falls of a cliff. The DT880, even off my phone, was much better all around. I currently have the Ultrasone Pro750 which is even better with great detail and nice bass kick.

Joshua

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 16
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. These are great cans imo...not huge soundstage but pretty aggressive, nice bass, fast response. They're great portables due to being friggin' tanks and really solid sound isolation, but sound great as in-home headphones too. They were recommended to me for punk and listening while skiing, skating, working in my studio, etc. In other words, they take a lickin' and sound great with aggressive music being played while extraneous stuff is going on...

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 16
The Sennheiser HD600's are mids centered, with more treble than the HD650's. You can probably find them at that price if you're patient. They're very comfortable, too. You'll need an amp to get the most out of them, though.

Oh, and don't bump your thread every few hours. That tends to get on peoples' nerves around here.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Hi I am looking at new cans for listening to metal music. I like to have the mids louder than everything, and with a very strong treble as well. Bass is also important to me, but not as much as mids. I can go up to about $300... but if theres something thats like waaay better than everything else for about $350, I wouldn't mind going a little higher. They can be open or closed, but comfort is very important to me. I have been looking at the V-Moda M100's, but I have heard denon is really good too. What do you guys think I should consider?

Heya,

Look into:

Beyer DT880
Hifiman HE-300
Sennheiser HD598
Sony MA900
AKG Q701

Mr Speaker Mad Dog
AKG K550
AudioTechnica A700X
Ultrasone PRO 750

And with your needs, always remember you can equalize to perfect it.

Very best,

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 16
1. Grado SR325i
2. Alessandro MS2i
3. DT880

They all are open and semi open back headphones that will complement your Senn HD25-1 and fits with metal music IMHO

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! My last 4 headphone purchases have all included the sennheiser hd598, so needless to say ive been intrigued by them for a while. As for grados, I have tried my friends and for some reason I just dont like the sound.. Also, I currently have the Beyer Dt990's, so I dont know if I would want to get the dt880's

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 16
As already been said, Sennheiser HD600 is great for metal, very clear and not harsh sounding and a nice oompfhh in the bottom end while not bassy. The HD650 is slightly too forward for metal and can give fatique. HD600 are open cans, and they need an amp, so they don't fit in every environment. The HD25-II and Shure SHR-840 are nice portable and also closed alternatives, while I love my rather cheap Sony MDR-ZX700:s for on the go music 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Ill look into the sennheisers. Any suggestions for an amp and/or dac to use? I know my computers sound card sucks

I would go for the O2:

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

or the ODAC-combo, if you need a DAC as well:

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48

but of course there is cheaper alternatives out there that would do, some Fiio or something similar, or why not a USB-soundcard with built in headamp like the semiprofessional ones from M-Audio, E-MU or Presonus or the like ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back