Need new cans
Aug 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ToastedBeans

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of 3year old sennheiser HD 280 pros that I was using and liked but recently the right ear went out b/c a wire became un-soldered which is a somewhat common problem, anyways I am going to eventually to send them back but for now I am going to use it as an excuse for me to buy a new set of cans. I mainly listen to hip-hop, rap, classic rock, and punk. So i want a pair that has good bass but doesn't make any music that doesn't have heavy bass sound weird. Also, I would like to not have to get a head phone amp, them to be closed back or partially closed, over-ear, and cost under $200 but will spend more if its worth it.

I have been looking at these:
- AKG K271MKII
- Denon AHD2000 but they are $280
and are wondering if either is worth getting. Input and suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 5

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
The Denons might be a great match for you - read up on them. Also, don't get rid of your HD-280s. Put out a request in the DIY Forum for someone to fix them. Lots of people here recable and repair headphones. A loose connection should be an easy fix and the turnaround will be faster than Sennheiser, too. If you decide to go with a different pair, then you should list your old ones in the For Sale Forum. Someone will want them.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 5

kboe

Headphoneus Supremus
I would agree that the Denon D2000s. It would kill me to use a pair of headphones without an amp, but the D2000s would be o.k for a while. If you find them to your liking, even a inexpensive amp would do wonders, provided your music is ripped at a good quality.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 5

ToastedBeans

New Head-Fier
Im not going to get rid of the HD-280s and ill check out the DIY forum. The Audio Technics M50S look like a step up from the 280s with not a big price tag so that might be the way to go until I have enough extra cash for an amp and a nicer pair of headphones.
But I have a question is an amp really worth it? Would it be better to get a cheaper pair than the Denon D2000s then save up for something better than them and an amp? thanks for the help so far

Users who are viewing this thread