need life advice: want to drop out of college
Nov 28, 2006 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
I need advice I have nowhere to turn Posted this in other forums and no one responds

Well I'm going to year two of university My dad is a major administrator there and truly believes in the college propaganda. I should back up for a second, I am very right brained, I am an artist, I love drawing and I truly know exactly what I should be doing with my life.

And I am hating every minute of university. If I could study what I'm there for, I'd be fine, but basically it is high school 2.0 with nothing but requirements and few classes that actually allow me to study my field. There is a reason I am studying art, it is because it is the only thing I am good at.

I'm failing most of my requirements and I just hate those classes. Since I'm unwilling to bend and just 'take' the classes I want to drop out. I want to work "blue collar" full time and study art myself. I already have a part time job.

My dad is an administrator he won't even hear me when I try to bring up the subject. I have lived a sheltered suburban life, but I know exactly what I want to do, it is frustrating that universities are punishing me for this... Believe me, general requirements do not make you a more well-rounded person (I guess it depends on the person)... that's what High School was for...

I am having thoughts right now that I do not really care for but they are getting overwhelming. I feel ridiculous that I am living out this cliche... it truly is a stereotype. My dream is to work now, I can put in a hard days work easily, and in 5-10 years I will become extremely good in the arts as I develop my talents. My mom watches e-news twice a day, my dad is an administrator my bro makes $150 thousand per year. My family is obsessed with image and looking prestigious. They don't want me to do what I want to because it would look bad to their friends.

Is this unrealistic, what I want to do?

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 71
Dear AndrewG,

please talk to your counselor. I'm sure they are best equipped to give you advice. Believe it or not, they are not all in it for the money. They are there to counsel you.

Unrealistic, no. One of the worst things you can do is get stuck with a job you didn't want because of going to school for a degree you didn't care for. If you can finance yourself, go for it.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 71
I have a few thoughts.

1. Jobs that seem ok now will not feel that way longer. Your 5-10 year plan will most likely not go as planned (they rarely do, such is life), so you may be stuck in a job you don't like for a long time.

Even the best jobs get old. The mediocre ones really really get old. Mediocre doesn't mean blue-collar, white-collar etc. It means a job that doesn't involve your true calling.

It can take a very long while to get up to speed making a living with your true passion. It will happen if you are determined, but you don't know when.

2. A few years of courses you hate is a drop in the bucket. It may be worth it to deal with it for the experience and the relationships/contacts you will make at school.

Find someone in the art program etc that you can talk to. A professor or someone similar... Talk to them about this and see what they can offer. Finding a mentor would be helpful.

I guess my point is that although you are not the conventional person/student, college may still offer you something. You will no doubt garner experiences there you wouldn't have otherwise. Experiences in life, social relationhips, and after a few years of crap courses you will focus on your true passion with courses geared toward you.

Good luck.

Just offering a different viewpoint. College truly isn't the answer for everyone but I feel it offers something for most. YMMV.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need advice I have nowhere to turn Posted this in other forums and no one responds

Well I'm going to year two of university My dad is a major administrator there and truly believes in the college propaganda. I should back up for a second, I am very right brained, I am an artist, I love drawing and I truly know exactly what I should be doing with my life.

And I am hating every minute of university. If I could study what I'm there for, I'd be fine, but basically it is high school 2.0 with nothing but requirements and few classes that actually allow me to study my field. There is a reason I am studying art, it is because it is the only thing I am good at.

I'm failing most of my requirements and I just hate those classes. Since I'm unwilling to bend and just 'take' the classes I want to drop out. I want to work "blue collar" full time and study art myself. I already have a part time job.

My dad is an administrator he won't even hear me when I try to bring up the subject. I have lived a sheltered suburban life, but I know exactly what I want to do, it is frustrating that universities are punishing me for this... Believe me, general requirements do not make you a more well-rounded person (I guess it depends on the person)... that's what High School was for...

I am having thoughts right now that I do not really care for but they are getting overwhelming. I feel ridiculous that I am living out this cliche... it truly is a stereotype. My dream is to work now, I can put in a hard days work easily, and in 5-10 years I will become extremely good in the arts as I develop my talents. My mom watches e-news twice a day, my dad is an administrator my bro makes $150 thousand per year. My family is obsessed with image and looking prestigious. They don't want me to do what I want to because it would look bad to their friends.

Is this unrealistic, what I want to do?

Andrew, you must do what makes you happy. If art is your calling, by all means pursue it. If not, you will regret it.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 71
do what you want to do. if your parents don't want to support you, then it's their loss. what's the point if you're not enjoying what you're doing? pursue your interests.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 71
College is a sticky lass, especially for those wanting to pursue the arts. I know it may all seem useless now, but they are really trying to have you be "well rounded" as you enter the field of your choice. That is why, especially for artists, the first two years of university seem tedious and inane.

But, the opportunites that having that B.A. will give you FAR outweigh the small amount of tedium that you must suffer though now. Especially being an aritst, it will sometimes be hard for you to pay the pickle man (art is a fickle business, to say the least). With a college diploma, the jobs that you do to pay the bills will be more interesting, and above all, PAY better.

Art is MUCH easier to do when you dont have to worry about being evicted.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 71
Quote:

No offense, but welcome to college. That's exactly what most majors are like - the first couple of years you have to take the boring, uninspiring core classes first, some of which might have nothing to do with your major. It's not until the 3rd year that you get to take classes that stop the curtain show.

I agree with the others who said to stick it out. It's only 4 years of your life. You'll have the rest of your life to do what you want. Not having a college degree could look bad on your résumé.

And college isn't just about the academics either as already pointed out. Make the most of your time there - meet other people, go crazy, party, etc.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 71
I entered the thread ready to laugh at the poor kid ready to quit college when things got a little tough. But it seems you've thought it out pretty reasonably. As long as you are ready to accept the consequences, do what you believe is right.

I will say when you truly love what you do, you'll most likely find a way to make it work. But it would be helpful to hear from some people in your field, including those who did pursue their dream and perhaps regretted it.

Passion, vision, dedication, desire are all in woefully short-supply these days. I'm happy you seem to have them. Best of luck to you.

Best,

-Jason

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 71
Hi there, I hope some of my post here will help you.
I am an artist as well and have been drawing all my life.
I spent summers upon summers as the "camp artist" during high school doing banners and large murals, etc.

I knew what I wanted to do with my life, and I finally made it through years and years of very tough archtictural college and got my degree in architecture.

Life was good, and I spent my days drawing and modeling and rendering and stuff, but the cold hard reality settled in and that was the following:
Most jobs get boring when you have to do them 8-10 hours a day for years and years on end. and... I couldn't pay my bills any longe b/c the market was just not good for an architectural artist at that time.

Today I'm an IT network security auditor and it's something I never even dreamed I would be doing, but I am doing it and it's paying the bills and putting food on my table at the moment.

The bottom line is, get a college degree, b/c it can potentially open lots of doors for you down the road.
I don't care where your dad is the admin, but there are art colleges all over the place, so there's no excuse to not pursue a degree which is related to your passion.

Lastly, read up on the "starving artist" lifestyle b/c that's what you might be doing.
Don't get me wrong: you can do very well as an artist, but there's nothing like having a solid plan B to get you through the tough times!
Good Luck!

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 71
Well, I had a lovely, thoughtful reply to you and it got lost somehow!

I'll paraphrase myself then:

There are plenty of statistics on the benefits of a university degree. Your calling is art and it is a fine one at that. However, you must realise that to remain in a sheltered suburban life you must acquire the trappings of one. One of these trappings (and no, this is very wrong, university is a great undertaking, but since you don't think so, it is then a trapping) is getting a university level degree.

You need something more to show the world than the endless possibilities of youth, something simple like a few letters after your name that say 'look, I dedicated 4 whole years of my life to one purpose'. This says a whole lot more than something required by law. Even in the trades you've got to spend a lot of your life writing exams and studying, taking an apprenticeship to later become a journeyman. What does an artist do? He practices his art and then sells the result, so that he can continue to fund his practice! How is this different from any other entrepreneur? Unless you have that rare, masterful gift of inherent entrepreneurial ability you need to learn it somewhere. Even the (in todays terms) multimillionaire artists of the ancient times (Praxiteles, Lysippos, etc.) were dependant on commissions to fund their businesses.

You say that you are not willing to bend, to which I say, things that are not willing to bend will be broken.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 71
Quote:

They don't want me to do what I want to because it would look bad to their friends.

Sounds like your parents are a bunch of vain jerk-offs.

If you stay in college you may make more $$,$$$. College is good more than college is bad. Imo.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 71
Why not go to an artist conservatory where the focus is heavily emphasized on art studies?

I went to MIT, studying computer science and engineering. I love computers, and will always love that topic, but I didn't see myself enjoyably purusing such a career - I wanted to artistically express myself by means of technological innovation. So, I made the risky move in transfering from MIT to NYU to study at a very specialized (still prestigious enough) music production program. I'm a LOT happier now that I am in that business, since I am taking my love for computers, programming, and open source software, and applying it to the art I've always purused and had a passion for - music.

I would consider a similar direction, if I were you. But if you don't think any university is right for you, then I think what you've outlined in your post is great. Go for what you will enjoy the most. It may be your parents' money, but it's your life!

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #14 of 71
Yeah... I hear you...
Just stick with it though. Eventually you'll get through the general Ed requirements. I actually found the University learning environment fun once I got past all the art history, music appreciation and into my major. (I already appreciate music and arts... I dont need a publicly funded institution to teach me how to appreciate / enjoy things that I already do).

My GPA gradually improved too as a result. Although the phys ed courses were a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back