Need info on some Acoustic headphones. HELP THIS NEWBIE!!! XD
Jul 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

eMotion3287

New Head-Fier
ok guys I've decided that my next pair of cans will be Audio Technica. With that outa the way all i have to decide is what model. i know of all the top models (A700, A900, AD900, M50 and the M30 and 20) i want that smooth acoustic sound with poppy plucks and rhythmic strumming on high and low ends. its that airy flow that makes acoustic music so soothing and i dont wanna lose any of that through my headphones. I have a pair of 32ohm beyer DT700's (keep in mind i have no home amp setup. i just use my laptop) that i use for mixing techno, dudstep tracks and i love them but id like some more acoustic based cans for my me time XD so i'd like to know what will be my best bet for smooth, crisp acoustic audio for a simple laptop (though i do have a tiny Fiio E5 if that helps XD). My heart is set on the open back 900's but i realize that wont perform on a laptop well so help me out guys. Thanks so much!

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 47
the kind of music i'd be using these for would be John mayer, sufjan stevens, coldplay, jack johnson, Decemberists, jack white, matt costa, Afro Celt Sound System, Arcade fire, Billy Joel, Elton John, George Harrison.... etc i could continue but ill do you the favor of NOT. thanks again guys.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 47
AD700/900's and Grado would be my top picks for that. 

Don't get the M50's, you want something airier than that. 

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 47
I love your music OP

Do you want John Mayer: Where the Light is, to sound great?

I would go Grado.Sr125i
Because your music relies on mostly Mids and Highs with a touch of bass. And that's what Grado do. 
The soundstage isn't big, but that's not a must have. Some people choose to have their music to sound personal
Easy to drive, so no amp

Other then that, the AD900's would be too open and loose their sound
The A900 are better for music and are easy to drive
Beyer would be good also for Rock, but check out if they need a amp before you buy.

Kiteki, the Ad900 can only be modded for SQ by removing foam and dampening. But it's not a big difference, 5-10% increase is all.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 47
I've heard them once before and what startled me was that they are exactly the opposite of what they appear to be

Airy, neutral and a detailed soundstage. Nothing like a Closed, metal can would sound like. 

It's a good reference can, but not for me.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 47
Why if I can ask?

Did I just audition a can on the spot for you good sir?

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 47
I already bought it, it's just there's limited reviews and impressions on the A2000X, so I'm always curious to see what people think.

I like airy and detailed, and the fact that's it's neutral and reference quality means it will serve very well in my collection, since almost all my IEM's are leaning towards neutral and reference.

I thought since it's called the "ART Monitor" it would have more of a coloured hi-fi sound to it.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 47

Quote:
I already bought it, it's just there's limited reviews and impressions on the A2000X, so I'm always curious to see what people think.

I like airy and detailed, and the fact that's it's neutral and reference quality means it will serve very well in my collection, since almost all my IEM's are leaning towards neutral and reference.

I thought since it's called the "ART Monitor" it would have more of a coloured hi-fi sound to it.

Compared to others in the same line up, it's not as colored. 

I didn't like it because the sound is forgettable, meaning you can forget there's music playing

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 47
thanks for the info guys. where as i do support grado, it's more for harder basis or rock in my experience like for my metal, rock, industrial, etc, but they are very ranged in their uses. I have to say the AD900's were my 1st choice. i just cant decide weather i want some open backs or if i want another pair of closed backs. which would be better for a pure and soothing acoustic sound? also would i be able to run either efficiently on a basic laptop?

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #14 of 47

Quote:
thanks for the info guys. where as i do support grado, it's more for harder basis or rock in my experience like for my metal, rock, industrial, etc, but they are very ranged in their uses. I have to say the AD900's were my 1st choice. i just cant decide weather i want some open backs or if i want another pair of closed backs. which would be better for a pure and soothing acoustic sound? also would i be able to run either efficiently on a basic laptop?

Grado for rock

Ad900 for Classical

It's that simple. Grado have a sound structure and stage that makes it perfect for any rock/acoustic/jazz music. AD900 are better for Classical since they have a airy soundstage and less mids.

Get a Grado and you won't be dissapointed. There is a reason why AD900 are only used for gaming and that is because of the soundstage. Which for rock, it's worse having a larger soundstage

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 47

Users who are viewing this thread

Back