Need IEM recommendations for operatic vocal tracks
Apr 16, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 19
I don't think I've heard of this brand before, which one of their products are you listening to?
They have various products in different price ranges that utilizes dynamic drivers, hybrid, to all BA driver based iems. Moondrop tend to tune their iems similarly (to a particular target sound response), and works well for vocals in particular. The examples of the models would be Kanas Pro, KXXS, Starfield, Blessing series, A8, S8

Here's the thread dedicated to Moondrop iems.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moondrop-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.894139/

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 19
Very interesting! Thanks for the update.
I have not taken notice of that one although the name pops up here and there, but I found the measurement by Crincale and actually quite some discussions in Toranku's thread: https://www.head-fi.org/search/606594/?q=Faudio+major&t=post&c[thread]=895832&o=relevance
Mimouille is also one head-fier who's opinion I value a lot.

Moondrop is a Chifi company that had it's break through with the Kanas Pro model almost 3 years ago. Well tuned budget ($30) to mid tier ($700) IEMs, mainly following a Harman tuning, lately modified.
The Kanas Pro was the IEM that really focused my attention on IEMs in general, good value at the $180 some 2,5 years back. In fact what Toranku wrote about the FAudio Major reminded me in one aspect of the Kanas Pro - the Kanas was also a very smooth sounding IEM, although the tuning of the Kanas Pro and from what I have seen and read all their IEMs is favoring female vocals and sub bass.
The reason I sold the Kanas Pro was that I found it lacking a bit in mid bass and lower mids and it had some timbre/smearing/congestion issues, but the latter should not be an issue with their higher level Blessing (2), A8 and S8 models.
Personally I would not have thought of Moondrop for operatic music due to the importance of the lower midrange for the male vocals.

Looking forward to your take on the Major! Please share!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #18 of 19
@surfgeorge Received my Major earlier this week and have been listening quite a lot. I will share some of my opinions about this IEM over the weekend, stay tuned!

Apr 25, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #19 of 19
@surfgeorge Ok, finally have some time for a short review. It's my first time writing a proper impression post longer than a few sentences so bear with me.

fm.jpg
Construction & Accessories:
I was first surprised by how compact the packaging was; it was literally just a palm-sized square box with everything packed in tightly. And by everything, I mean a set of tips, a carrying case, and the earphones themselves. You certainly don't get an abundant amount of accessories, and I'm not exactly a fan of the metal carrying case that comes with the Major--it's just too heavy for me. The cable, called the "Black Sprite", feels very solid. They are claiming that the cable is a 24AWG UPOCC cable, which retails separately for around $400; The only complaint I have about the cable is that it feels a bit shorter than some other stock IEM cables I've used before.

Overall the earphone has a very solid construction, and the finish is in fact more of a Champagne color than gold. Another notable highlight about this IEM is that it can be worn very comfortably, which is surprising given that it doesn't have the smallest or lightest profile as the Xelento has. I have not once had to take the Major out of my ears because they started getting uncomfortable, and I only have medium-small sized ears. I can confidently say that out of all the IEMs that I owned/tried, the Major is the one that fits the best.

Sound:

Now for the more important part of this post. How does the Major sound? Well, first of all, I have to admit that it's not the earphones that I'm looking for classical/classical vocals. But it doesn't mean I dislike these brilliant earphones.

The bass on the Major has good depth and a slow roll-off, but it doesn't attack as much or bleed into the mid-range as the Xelento does; it's somewhat diffused so that it doesn't sound as aggressive as a tighter bass can be. The mid-range vocal is definitely not forward, and my impression of listening to operatic vocal tracks with the Major is that the singer is no doubt singing behind the orchestra.

Ok, now I have to talk about the soundstage of the Major. I mean holy **** this is some serious holographic imaging we're talking about here. It's simply a ridiculously open soundstage that spreads the music in the air; I think live-recordings will really benefit from the Major's ability to produce such an incredible stage with just a single DD. Nevertheless, the soundstage can also be a problem when listening to studio recordings, as the Major can create a feeling of space and distance whereas there shouldn't be. I think this may be why the vocal is recessed with the Major, as the voices are not focused enough due to the diffusion of sound.

I wouldn't say the Major is a very detail-oriented or "reference" level IEM because it's just too smooth, and some of the details are sacrificed to achieve that level of smoothness. I think when the people at FAudio designed the Major, they tuned it specifically in such a way that it's more fun and casual to listen to, rather than giving it a serious analytical sound. The Major is, therefore, able to produce a very "emotional" sound that I think is maybe better suited for pop-music, just not classical if you're looking for BA like details and analytical tuning.

In the end, even though the Major is not exactly the earphones I'm looking for, I will definitely keep it over my Xelento and Andromeda for casual listening/listening to relax. If I have to rate it out of 10, I think it deserves a solid 8 out of 10. I'm taking off two points mostly because I ended up paying a little more for these than what it retails for, but overall a very nice IEM (better if you can get it cheaply :)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back