need helping finding some new music
Aug 1, 2008 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jmccnz

New Head-Fier
so i need help finding some new music, at the moment i'm just tired of what I have and I can't find any new stuff that I actually like..

My main tastes are alternative, electronic, jazz, chillout, lounge etc. Fav artists include: Radiohead, Bonobo, Dave Brubeck, Jack Johnson etc etc.

Im quite keen for something loungey jazz.. looking for stuff with good jazz drumming and double bass...

Can anyone help?

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmccnz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i need help finding some new music, at the moment i'm just tired of what I have and I can't find any new stuff that I actually like..

My main tastes are alternative, electronic, jazz, chillout, lounge etc. Fav artists include: Radiohead, Bonobo, Dave Brubeck, Jack Johnson etc etc.

Im quite keen for something loungey jazz.. looking for stuff with good jazz drumming and double bass...

Can anyone help?

Im trying to find something that is alternative/indie with jazzy elements for you. maybe "and then nothing turned itself inside out" by "yo la tango" also if you do not mind going down the experimental route then I highly recomend "mirrored"by "battles" and anything by "don caballero". they are not very laid back but drummers are very good.

try this out from battles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLAN29W-4w

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 11
You could try Pink Martini "hang on little tomato" or "Hey Eugene" for a loungey jazz feel.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 11
Nik Bartsch's Ronin.

Russian Circles.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 11
let us know if you find something you like. sometimes I hate doing a thread like this and the op never says if he/she found anything. so keep us posted!
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Kinda surprised that no one has suggested pianist Brad Mehldau. His trio has actually recorded Radiohead tunes.

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 11
An incredible chillout/ambient band is Sigur Ros.

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 11
If you like Radiohead you must try Oceansize. I'm actually listening to their "Everyone into Position" CD right now. Amazing harmonies and a mesmerizing 3 guitar wall of sound. And the drumming is equally good. Check 'em out.

Standout track: "Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs" from the album "Effloresce"

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 11
Pink Martini is a great recommendation. Saw them live a few years back and have been a fan ever since. For jazz, give Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans a listen. They're two of my favorites and have big catalogs of great music. You'll find a lot to like.

If you want to try something different, give a listen to some 20th Century minimalist classical. Arvo Part's Alina is a great place to start. It might be the most beautiful piece I have in my collection. Not quite what you asked for, but I don't know anyone who has heard it and didn't love it. Give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back