Need help with taking next step into better headphones and an AMP.
Dec 16, 2010 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kinetickoala

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

First I'd like to say that I'm a huge fan, I've been reading posts on this site for months now when researching the past headphones that I have bought. So thanks for all you guys do!

Basically, I am a blossoming audiophile! Last September I bought Audio-Technica ATH-A700 headphones on a whim. Boy, what a revelation! Before that I had owned the Audio-Technica ATH-M30, which were also amazing to me. I thought I had reached the limit with the M30s for years, and I was proven completely wrong when I listened to the A700. The clarity, the soundstage, all of it! I was amazed, and every day for the last few months I have listened to them for at least two hours. I also bought the ATH-M50s in October because I wanted good sound when walking around.

I am beginning to feel an itch, however. There are whispers from the West that an amplifier can make your headphones sound amazing, and I am eager to get one since I only power my headphones through my computer (which has an average soundcard). I literally have no clue what to get, though! I've read online for hours and still I don't understand DAC and which model gives me the best bang for my buck. From the research I've done, it seems like this:

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-Icon-uDAC-2-Black-Headphone/dp/B003Y5FRNS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

is a fairly good bet. Is that good? What should I be looking for?

The second part to this post is slightly more important. I've started thinking, if the jump from the M30s to the A700s was that amazing, what will it be like to upgrade again? I've started saving, and I think I would like to go into the 300 dollar to 700 dollar range. Will the amp I posted above be strong enough to power higher end headphones? Or what? 

The biggest area where I need your help, though, is suggesting headphones in that range. I've read reviews of the W5000, AKG 701 (and 702), Sennheisers, and many many other brands. It seems like every model has their lovers and their haters, and I can't really get a clear picture of which headphones would be best. Hopefully you guys can help!

I imagine knowing what kind of music I listen to would be important, and it's pretty much only classical, hip hop, and alternative rock (yeah, a pretty diverse mix) with all other genres sprinkled in.

Thanks so much you guys! I really do appreciate it!

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 2
Wondered why you can't find a 'best' headphone? Because there isn't! :D

When you start dabbling in mid to high fi, prepare to get an amplifier. Headphones such as some grados may not have too demanding requirements, but stuff like the AKG K701/2s require very specific and high quality amplifiers to really shine.

If you like the audio technicas so much, there's no reason to change. You can work up that range, with the ATH W1000x being a good choice, or maybe switch to Sennheiser HD650s or Sony MDR-SA5000s for a change. There are really too many cans to choose from, and you need to ask yourself what you want in a pair of headphones. Good soundstage? Bass? Neutrality?

Find out what you want and work from there :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back