need help with closed headphones for computer/portable cd
Jun 16, 2002 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vrao81

500+ Head-Fier
I'm kind of stuck in a predicament. I've been using a set of Jensen JF20 headphones that I've had for a year with my computer (santa cruz sound card), and portable CD player. I love
the comfort - the headphones fit snugly on my head and don't hurt my ears at all. They are closed headphones, which I would prefer. Now my major complaint with these headphones is the sound - bass is tight, mids are clean and uncolored, but the highs are weak. The lack of highs is definitely noticeable, and is distracting, but doesn't cause listening fatigue. Now on my computer I have an eq to correct the highs problem, but not on my portable cd player.

I bought and tried a set of Sennheiser HD497 to see if I would like them. Now sound quality is great - but the sound is open, which I don't want, plus the headphones aren't comfortable. They press against my ears and hurt after about an hour. So I've decided to return these.

Now my question is this - I need a set of headphones, closed, for about $50 or less, that sound good without an amp on my computer and cd player. Sound should be good across entire frequency range - but I am more interested in clean mids and highs than base. I like my bass tight, without any boominess. I'd rather have little base than too much. I was thinking of the Sennheiser 202/212. Anybody tried these and can give me a review? Where can you purchase them? I;d like to buy them locally so I can test them out without dealing with online purchases and returns. Also any other recommendations in this price range would be much appreciated.

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 10
I think maybe your asking to much out of closed phones at that price range.
frown.gif

You would probubly like the w100's at around $350 though haha.

Hopefully someone else will be more help then I am lol...

Biggie.

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 10
What about the Sony MDR-V7506 or V6?
Closed.
Easily driven.
Relatively even frequency response with decent non-boomy bass.
Around the $60 mark.

Not sure what the Sennheiser HD280pro goes for, but that might be another possible choice.

Jun 17, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
What about the Sony MDR-V7506 or V6?
Closed.
Easily driven.
Relatively even frequency response with decent non-boomy bass.
Around the $60 mark.

Not sure what the Sennheiser HD280pro goes for, but that might be another possible choice.

I would say the hd280's highs are a bit recessed and plus they are twice his budget. :p

Jun 17, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 10
vrao81, if you found the Sennheiser 497 uncomfortable, you'll hate the 202/212's, too. They share the same basic pressure-exerting design as the 497.

As for alternatives, the Sony V6 is priced above your stated price range. And there are no good-sounding closed headphones under $50 with the exception of the Senn HD 2#2 series mentioned above -- those other sub-$50 headphones either deliver way too much bass or (more likely) suffer from unnatural resonant echoing and ringing noises that will eventually cause hearing fatigue.

Sorry that I couldn't be of much help here; the closed headphones that fit your description of your desired sound are well out of your price range.
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 10
you have 2 options... or more..

1. get Sony V6 for $60... geat bass, not boomy, but a bit bright, lacking mids, and no soundstage...but great phones overall...

or

2. get Sennheiser 280PRO. even better bass. no boominess at all, tight, very very very deep.. great soundstage, etc.. but $100. and a bit tight, but you can easily fix it with a couple of books.. but...
$100. I say save up and get the 280Pro..

or...

Etymotic er6. run a search for it..

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 10
I just remembered.... the Aiwa HP-V100 something like that.. but anyway..

it is a canal-bud that isolates, supposedly has good bass, and everything in between, for 20 bucks.. maybe that would be good... Im not sure about it though..

PHONES

Phones 2

Jul 8, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the replies guys! I ended up purchasing the HD497 again after i returned them and this time I think i'll keep them.

BTW these forums are great i've been reading several posts and everyone seems to be very helpful keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back