Need help with buying headphones
Feb 14, 2016 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

drakelito

New Head-Fier
Hello guys.

My Fidelio X2 broke the other day and I'm gonna buy a new pair of headphones.

I've been checking these out for my new buy:

Sennheiser HD650/600
Fidelio X2 (again)
Audio Technica ATH-R70X
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm

My soundcard is Asus's own SupremeFX which supports 300 ohm headphones.

What I want the most right now in headphones is clear sound with good bass.
I also want the headphones to totally surround my ears without giving pain on my ears.

My budget is around $350-400.

And should I get a cheaper pair of headphones like DT990/X2 and a new soundcard/DAC like Creative SoundBlaster Z or ASUS Xonar U7? Or just go with HD650 and hope my 300 ohm soundcard is good enough?

I appreciate all the help I can get from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 14
Do you feel like changing anything in your X2s?

If not, why not get the same thing again. Unless there is something that was off about them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like them, but on the other hand I haven't really tried good headphones other than the X2.

And the only off thing about X2 is that the sound wasn't really as "high" as I wanted some times, is this something that might improve with ASUS Xonar U7?

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 14
I would consider either the HD600 or 650. They are considered classics for a reason and you can't go wrong with either. In my experience, they both have similar bass impact and extension, but the 650 is warmer sounding overall.

Hope that helps.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 14
I would consider either the HD600 or 650. They are considered classics for a reason and you can't go wrong with either. In my experience, they both have similar bass impact and extension, but the 650 is warmer sounding overall.

Hope that helps.

Awesome, the 650 looks really promising, and Sennheiser is making good stuff.

Do you think my 300ohm SupremeFX will be enough for the HD650? :)

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 14

My Fidelio X2 broke the other day and I'm gonna buy a new pair of headphones.

What I want the most right now in headphones is clear sound with good bass.
I also want the headphones to totally surround my ears without giving pain on my ears.

Sounds like the DT990.  Mids and highs are clear, though maybe the sub-bass might be too strong, depending on your preference.  Maybe it depends a bit on amp.

600/650 will have a smaller soundstage than DT990, if that matters.

What broke on the X2?  I read how people are impressed by the build quality, but I also read plenty of build quality problems, especially lately.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 14

Sounds like the DT990.  Mids and highs are clear, though maybe the sub-bass might be too strong, depending on your preference.  Maybe it depends a bit on amp.

600/650 will have a smaller soundstage than DT990, if that matters.

What broke on the X2?  I read how people are impressed by the build quality, but I also read plenty of build quality problems, especially lately.

Well bass isn't everything, but I listen alot to trance and the bass isn't everything there, the are some vocals and stuff too, but bass sure is nice to have.

Some weird sound from the left headphone, and when the lady in the store was checking them, the right one didn't work at all haha.

Tbh it's leaning against HD650, the only thing I'm afraid about is that the bass/sound won't be too good now since I don't have a PROPER soundcard.
Although I have 30 days to try them and go back with them If I don't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back