Need help with a portable audio player
May 25, 2015 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

StonerWasTaken

New Head-Fier
I've only really made my account to ask the head-fi community a quick question, but apparently I have to post in this forum first before anything else, so here goes:

I'm planning on buying a Sansa Clip+ and I wanted to know if I can use a 128gb flash drive with it using a micro usb to usb cable; will it recognize the storage device or is this something that doesn't work? If the case is that it does recognize it, could i also use a portable HDD and that would work too?

May 25, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 14
It will not be recognized. The Sansa Clip+ is not designed to recognize other external storage devices than Micro-SD cards.

You coud buy a 128GB micro-SD card and format it to FAT32 so you could use it with the Clip+.

May 25, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 14
Biggest you can go with the Sansa would be 32 gig card.  Have you looked at the FiiO X1?  It's capable of handling 128gig card.  Much better than the Sansa IMO.  I own a couple of Sansa players, but use them for working out and in the car, but they are very limited compared to other players on the market.

May 25, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 14
  Biggest you can go with the Sansa would be 32 gig card.  Have you looked at the FiiO X1?  It's capable of handling 128gig card.  Much better than the Sansa IMO.  I own a couple of Sansa players, but use them for working out and in the car, but they are very limited compared to other players on the market.

By formatting the micro-SD card to FAT32 you can use it with the Clip+ as well. I have done that before.

I agree though that the Fiio X1 is the better player. Not miles better, but it certainly is a step up in many ways coming from the Clip+. The amping is much better, the UI is more sophisticated, the screen is nicer and it supports more formats.

May 25, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 14
  By formatting the micro-SD card to FAT32 you can use it with the Clip+ as well. I have done that before.

I agree though that the Fiio X1 is the better player. Not miles better, but it certainly is a step up in many ways coming from the Clip+. The amping is much better, the UI is more sophisticated, the screen is nicer and it supports more formats.

I've heard rockboxing it will allow the use of 64 gig cards, but never heard where it will recognize a 128gig card.  The FiiO X1 can play more formats, better amping, better SQ IMO, and more capacity is certainly more than what the Sansa brings to the table.  I've never said "miles better," but it is IMO since I own both players and have compared them.

May 25, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 14
  Is there anything that I could buy that's bigger than 128GB or another audio player that supports external HDDs?

There is a new Micro-SD card from SanDisk that has 200 GB capacity, but it's way too expensive ($400).

A squeezebox supports portable HDD, but if you want that kind of system to be portable, you would also need a portable external battery to keep things running... and that's just too much stuff to be called truly portable in my opinion. There are better alternatives.

Why do you need that much space by the way? If it's all lossless audio you could consider converting many of your files to high bit-rate lossy audio. Then you could store more than 10000 songs in one micro-SD card.

I've heard rockboxing it will allow the use of 64 gig cards, but never heard where it will recognize a 128gig card.  The FiiO X1 can play more formats, better amping, better SQ IMO, and more capacity is certainly more than what the Sansa brings to the table.  I've never said "miles better," but it is IMO since I own both players and have compared them.

I've owned both players as well (my mother has the Clip+ now) and looking at your reaction, I think we agree on the differences between the two players. We just use different words to describe those differences.

May 25, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 14
All you need to do is to sport your device with Rockbox.org and there wont be any limit to size of memory you could use with sansa clip + . I can confirm 128 GB works perfect with clip+

May 25, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 14
  All you need to do is to sport your device with Rockbox.org and there wont be any limit to size of memory you could use with sansa clip + . I can confirm 128 GB works perfect with clip+

I'm having issues with Rockboxing my Sansa.  I download it and it recognizes my player, but does nothing to it when I go through the process.  Anything you can think of to assist me?

Thanks

May 26, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 14
Tell me what exactly you did ? and what do you see in your device when you turn it on ? 
also try to hold the home button and power at the same time in beginning and tell me what happens

May 26, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 14
  Tell me what exactly you did ? and what do you see in your device when you turn it on ?
also try to hold the home button and power at the same time in beginning and tell me what happens

It goes through the install process.  It recognizes my device, but when I go to eject it, it says it's in use.  This is when I try to eject it from the rockbox software.  My device shows nothing new when it's disconnected.  All factory settings and no new options.

May 26, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 14
  It goes through the install process.  It recognizes my device, but when I go to eject it, it says it's in use.  This is when I try to eject it from the rockbox software.  My device shows nothing new when it's disconnected.  All factory settings and no new options.

Well, I dont remember now the steps because for me it was very quick with installation and i didnt face any problem.
my suggestion is to make a back up of your device and then make a factory reset. then try to go into step by step tutorial (there are many either on web or youtube) . then u will be sure that there wont be any problem. let me know if this method works for u

May 26, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 14
  Is there anything that I could buy that's bigger than 128GB or another audio player that supports external HDDs?

Does it really have to be an HDD? AK players have dual microSD slots plus 32gb (some have 64gb I think) internal memory. That means 256gb+32gb. The Fiio X5 has dual slots but no internal memory, and has a file number limit (ie if you use 256gb of MP3 it won't recognize all of them). Anything larger than that and you might as well use a smartphone and streaming service, and if it's an Android you can get a Samsung and then buy a spare battery with an external charger so you can just switch it off and swap the battery instead of hooking up a powerbank and waiting for it to charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back