Need help with 2nd Generation iPod Classic.
Jun 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DR650SE

500+ Head-Fier
I just got an old but mint 2nd Generation iPod classic. I have a PC and iTunes doesn't see it.  The laptop sees it as a hard drive, but iTunes doesn't see it.  I reformatted it in FAT32, but now the iPod doesn't go to the Menu.  Just gives me the folder with exclamation mark.  So I need someway to get iTunes to recognize it. 

Also I can't get Rock box to recognize it either.

Anyone know how I may get this to work....

EDIT:  It came with a disc, I may have to see if that works...  But won't be able to try tonight :?  My son is being way to hyper :p lol

EDIT: Disc is MAC only :frowning2:  Not working. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 20
Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 20
hmm.  so i assume you had it hooked up with a firewire?  just surprised anyone still has a comp with firewire on it.

if its being seen by windows as a disc drive the it just be itunes not supporting it anymore?  that seems odd though, maybe try an old version of itunes perhaps?

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 20
Yea, tried old iTunes versions, no dice. This is going to be tricky and could use all the help I can get.

I have a 9 pin firewire port on my laptop and so I'm going 9 pin to 6 pin firewire on the IPod.

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 20
From what I have read is you'll have to plug it into a Mac to restore it back to working.

Take it into a Genius Bar and have them reload it if you don't have access to a Mac.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 20
Anyone have any ideas on this? I'd love to give it another go, but not sure where to start.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 20
Anyone have any ideas on this? I'd love to give it another go, but not sure where to start.

Walk into to any Apple dealer and up to the Genius Bar and have them reload it for you...
That would be the easiest way to fix it without access to an older Mac.

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 20
That was my last resort option. I don't think they'd be any help.

But!!.... I finally managed to do it with a 2006 iPod updater software. Finally I can get somewhere with this dogone project :p

-Sent from my Galaxy S4-

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 20
Excellent, glad to hear you managed to get it back!

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 20
Very cool! I have an old third Generation iPod Nano that still works. Granted I'll never use iTunes again, but that little sucker still ticks! 

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 20
 Finally I can get somewhere with this dogone project
tongue.gif

Sounds ominous. What do you have planned for the old girl?

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 20
My plan was to format a 128GB SD card and use that as the HDD.  But so far no luck.  I've been able to get the stock 10GB HDD working in it, and a 20GB HDD, but a 16GB SD Card, and 128GB SD card don't seem to want to cooperate.  I may be stuck at 20 GB :p

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 20
  My plan was to format a 128GB SD card and use that as the HDD.  But so far no luck.  I've been able to get the stock 10GB HDD working in it, and a 20GB HDD, but a 16GB SD Card, and 128GB SD card don't seem to want to cooperate.  I may be stuck at 20 GB :p

You're using one of the modern SD->CF adapters, right? Same one as the 5-7 gen use.

Seriously, good luck... I'm sorry to say that I ended up breaking the IDE connector on mine trying to do the same upgrade.

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 20
Yea,  I am.  I have multiple 4th gen iPods, and purchased a few extra adapters in the hopes of collecting more.  I totally believe your troubles.  I spent a good portion of today trying to get it to work with an SD card, and no matter what idea I came up with, it wouldn't work, or would hang during the iTunes restore or the FAT32 format.  I must have attempted 50 different approaches to the same outcome.  Nothing worked.  Something fundamental about an HDD and an SD card with adapter is different to where it is simply incompatible.  Sad because it would be bad effin ass to have a 2G iPod with 128GB.  However something I didn't realize earlier, is that a 2G iPod can't play lossless, so my efforts were futile in the end.  :p  Jokes on me lol. 

Anyway I decided to enjoy the luxury of having a 12+ year old MP3 player/2G iPod, with new quad armature IEMs (Westone W40's) with a 20GB capacity.  Plenty when your forced to use compressed formats.  Really I wanted the iPod to work with an SD card for the retro aspect.  I thought it would be pretty bad ass to have an old iPod with modern capacity size.  Though I may not have gotten it to work with an SD card, I did at least get it to work with a standard HDD.

I'll settle for 20GB as that is more than enough music to listen to in a compressed format and the 2nd Gen iPod can't play loss-less. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 20
  Anyway I decided to enjoy the luxury of having a 12+ year old MP3 player/2G iPod, with new quad armature IEMs (Westone W40's) with a 20GB capacity.  Plenty when your forced to use compressed formats.  Really I wanted the iPod to work with an SD card for the retro aspect.  I thought it would be pretty bad ass to have an old iPod with modern capacity size.  Though I may not have gotten it to work with an SD card, I did at least get it to work with a standard HDD.

Sounds like a nice setup. I seem to recall seeing an article once which suggested that the 2nd gen might even have better SQ than the 5.5th gen.

Me, I'm still very much in the budget-fi range and probably will be for a while. I have an iPod Color (4th gen) as well as a couple of flash-upgraded iPod Minis, the latter being my daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back