Need help understanding what these two graphs mean. 0.0
Apr 9, 2016 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

U-3C

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys!

I just got my DacPort Slim from CEntrance, and unsurprisingly, I can't hear a difference. I knew that my current equipment do not really benefit from an amp, but for some reason, I decided to do a frequency sweep with Room EQ and here's what I got.

CEntrance DacPort Slim:

http://i.imgur.com/Rf46bq5.png

My motherboard's Realtek ALC1150:

http://i.imgur.com/eYRdqcR.png

What I did is connect either the audio port for my PC or the DacPort Slim to the line-in port in the back of my motherboard.

I have absolutely no idea what to get out of the two graphs.

Any idea on what's up with all the spikes for the DacPort Slim? Especially since the larger ones align exactly at 1kh, 2kh, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8kh, etc. I did a sweep on my laptop as well and I got the same results.

I have zero knowledge regarding, so feel free to scream at my stupidity and tell me what I did wrong so I can behave properly. (>;v:wink:>

Thanks for reading!

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 11
What was the operating system, what sample rate did you do the sweeps in? Were the input and output devices set to that same rate?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 11, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 11
What was the operating system, what sample rate did you do the sweeps in? Were the input and output devices set to that same rate?

The OS was windows 10, the sample rate were done at 48khz, and I believe the input and output devices were done at the same rate.

I basically took the line out of the DacPort and the line out of my motherboard and connected it to the line in of my motherboard. I don't have any better gear...

;-;

Thanks for the reply!

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 11
Then unless there was clipping in the recording, I suppose those spikes are the result of USB power supply noise.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 11, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 11
Then unless there was clipping in the recording, I suppose those spikes are the result of USB power supply noise.

I see. I was suspecting something like that too, but didn't want to jump to conclusions. I'm certain it's not clipping as I played the same sweep and both the onboard dac and the external dac should still have a lot of headroom before they clip anything.

I'll try plugging the DacPort into different usb ports when I get back home during the weekends, especially ports that are directly on the motherboard. I plugged the DacPort into the front ports of my computer case when I did the test, and I don't know if the cable that connects the front usb ports of my computer case to my motherboard's usb header is shielded or not.

Thanks again. Cheers friend!

o(^_^)o

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Nevertheless with good hardware implementation you can use it for quality testing.

This publication is in Russian, but charts say enough to understand even w/o Google Translator. There http://www.overclockers.ua/peripheral/asus-xonar-u5-u7/all/ you will find all main charts for 2 external sound cards by ASUS.
They will give you some ideas, but looking at FRC "splashes" at high frequencies I would give 99% that they were caused by direct influence of another radio devices, say bad grounding (3%), bad PSU+Motherboard (7%) and FR interferences in cable (90%).

Look for a professional OFC shielded noise free cable first. It is obligatory. Take into account that you can order TRS 3.5mm male to TRS 3.5mm male cable and use it with headphones with standard 3.5mm audio jacks for detachable cables.
I made this throwing away all Mic/Remote/Volume cables and even some basic direct cables. With HiFi cable hp's gained a lot.
The second: buy Gold or Platinum PSU if you have desktop PC. If you are using laptop with 2 pin power plug, make recordings on battery only.

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Nevertheless with good hardware implementation you can use it for quality testing.

This publication is in Russian, but charts say enough to understand even w/o Google Translator. There http://www.overclockers.ua/peripheral/asus-xonar-u5-u7/all/ you will find all main charts for 2 external sound cards by ASUS.
They will give you some ideas, but looking at FRC "splashes" at high frequencies I would give 99% that they were caused by direct influence of another radio devices, say bad grounding (3%), bad PSU+Motherboard (7%) and FR interferences in cable (90%).

Look for a professional OFC shielded noise free cable first. It is obligatory. Take into account that you can order TRS 3.5mm male to TRS 3.5mm male cable and use it with headphones with standard 3.5mm audio jacks for detachable cables.
I made this throwing away all Mic/Remote/Volume cables and even some basic direct cables. With HiFi cable hp's gained a lot.
The second: buy Gold or Platinum PSU if you have desktop PC. If you are using laptop with 2 pin power plug, make recordings on battery only.

I would assume that I got rid of grounding issues (not certain though ._. ), and my power supply and motherboard should not be the issue. I only have a layman's understanding of this stuff so I would love if people can correct any mistakes I have. I chose the power supply with the least amount of ripples (EVGA G2 750w by Super Flower), so power delivery should be clean. However, I can't say the same about the computer case that I plugged the dac into. I should try plugging it directly into the motherboard as I was using the usb ports on the case. I'll only get access to my pc in a week so I can't try it now. The motherboard is fairly decent, so although I can't say it has the best implementation, it shouldn't be too sloppy.

Thanks for the info! o(^_^)o

PS: amping the Q701 with the DacPort Slim makes no audible difference for me. Maybe if I purchase a SPL meter, get everything volume matched and test them, I will be able to see a difference, but my average Joe's ears can't hear anything different after comparing a week back and forth. Quite contrary to the amount of posts that claim the AKG K701, K702, Q701 and K7XX absolutely needs amping (as opposed to amping simply helps). A little sad that I spent 100 dollars on barely any realistic difference in audio quality, but ah well. Maybe one day when I get drunk and purchase a $2k CIEM, this will help decrapify my audio.

\(;v:wink:/

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Good to see a cheerful person!
About your initial question: 1) Cable 2) Environment with minimal amount of wireless and ungrounded power outlets with equipment switched on.

About amp’ing. Good amp extends frequency range, has more attack giving better detail and offers Dynamic resolution (difference of levels of different voices/instruments in live track at your comfortable loudness level).
In capable headphones you can hear it if amp gives it.

But! I am from academic background, so praising always goes with kicking.
K701, K702 and especially K7XX are fine. Q701 is marketing fake. Very colored, unnatural, some kind of veil? Congested sound stage. So if you are adjusted to them, you won’t hear anything.
Actually there is a real reason behind. Slim/HD plays mids/treble exceptionally well, but does not add anything. Magic happens in lows, but Q701 has bad lows and little Harry Potter simply dies.

One quite competent review in russian outlined that your amp shines and wow’s at 250ohm and above. So 62 ohms of Q701 won’t benefit.

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 11
Good to see a cheerful person!

About your initial question: 1) Cable 2) Environment with minimal amount of wireless and ungrounded power outlets with equipment switched on.

About amp’ing. Good amp extends frequency range, has more attack giving better detail and offers Dynamic resolution (difference of levels of different voices/instruments in live track at your comfortable loudness level).

In capable headphones you can hear it if amp gives it.

But! I am from academic background, so praising always goes with kicking.

K701, K702 and especially K7XX are fine. Q701 is marketing fake. Very colored, unnatural, some kind of veil? Congested sound stage. So if you are adjusted to them, you won’t hear anything.

Actually there is a real reason behind. Slim/HD plays mids/treble exceptionally well, but does not add anything. Magic happens in lows, but Q701 has bad lows and little Harry Potter simply dies.

One quite competent review in russian outlined that your amp shines and wow’s at 250ohm and above. So 62 ohms of Q701 won’t benefit.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I was originally debating between the q701 and the k7xx.

The q701 I got were used and costed only 90 usd, while the K7XX is the 200 usd massdrop price. I remember reading a comparison between the Q701 and the other K7## that claimed the Q701 is basically the K7XX with different pads, and the pads are what changes the sound between them. I guess I probably should have just went with the K7XX without an amp, but I'm fairly satisfied with my current purchases. The DacPort will have other uses in the future.

Again, thanks for your time. Cheers!

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 11
It's aside of the discussion, but if you have time and patience (and luck), bidding on eBay can give you 7XX at $170 or cheaper

Haha nice! But I've exhausted the budget I'm willing to spend for now. Maybe I'll move one step up someday and buy a pair of HD800s for my family, but for now, I'm pretty satisfied.
My daily drivers are still my Xiaomi Piston 3. Comfortable and light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back