Need help to decide between Shure, Ultrasone, Audio Technica and Sennheiser
Sep 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

andrzr

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody!

I need some help to decide which headphone i should buy. This will be my first good headphone so i'm kinda lost here...

I've been reading and talking to some friends who supposedly know something about audio and they recommended me the following:

Closed:
Ultrasone HFI450
Shure SRH440
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Open-air:
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
Sennheiser HD555

My indecision is because i want something very comfortable so i can use all day long...
I work at home and i use to play Counter-Strike after work, so i would need something i can use for 6 to 8 hours a day...
Some people say they don't mind using a closed headphone all day long, others say the ears get really hot and kinda wet after long periods of using... that's something i'd like to avoid.

So, can you guys tell me if those closed type headphone listed are comfortable for long periods of using?
And if they are not comfy, is there a huge sound difference between closed and open-air types?

would i miss sound quality or anything if i pick up a Open-air type due the comfort?

btw, i'll be using the headphone without any amp, in an USB sound card or a Fatality Titanium, and i have a budget around US$130~US$140

Thanks in advance!!
and i apologize for my English

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 11
Actually, open headphones generally sound better then closed ones. because the drivers have more air they tend to sound more open and detailed. And yes, I find them more comfortable as well.
I recommend the HD555. They are the most comfortable cans I know and sound great for the money.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Actually, open headphones generally sound better then closed ones. because the drivers have more air they tend to sound more open and detailed. And yes, I find them more comfortable as well.
I recommend the HD555. They are the most comfortable cans I know and sound great for the money.

I don't really know if I agree with this. Open and closed headphones both have their advantages and disadvantages. Open headphones generally do sound more airy and generally have a bigger soundstage, but I like closed better because they generally have a stronger bass response.

Out of the phones you listed, I'd probably go with 555s for open or the M50s for closed.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 11
I personally prefer closed headphones. Your average family household gets fairly loud with pets and kids, along with traffic outside, AC blowing air, etc... This intrudes on the music too much for me, I find that cranking the volume on open headphones does not solve this. Now if its 3:00 AM (best time for headphones), open headphones really shine. Open headphone due have less resonance issues, better air and soundstage, less tin-can like. But there are great closed designs out there as well. The DT48 continues to be the most effortless headphone Ive ever heard, and its closed.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 11
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

Assuming you don't need isolation from external sounds at home, your primary concern should be comfort, not differences in sound. Comfort is a matter of personal preference as well - not everyone agrees on what is the most comfy or tolerable for extended wear. 

However, based on my use of several different headphones and FWIR, the HD555 would be your safest bet for comfy extended wear. I found it the most comfy for extended use of all the headphones that I've used in stock form. And it is a popular choice for music and gaming.

Quote:
My indecision is because i want something very comfortable so i can use all day long...
 I work at home and i use to play Counter-Strike after work, so i would need something i can use for 6 to 8 hours a day...

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Unless I need isolation from external sounds or I need it to not leak sound out and bother others near by, I prefer choosing headphones based on how they sound with the material that I listen to and how comfy they remain during use - not based on whether they are closed, open, or semi-closed/open.  But if you're considering the purchase of additional headphones, I suggest starting your own thread.  
Quote:
Which do you prefer? I have a hd280 but I personally have no experience with open headphones.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 11
It depends on what types of music you like and if you plan on watching movies and playing games with them. If you plan on watching movies, don't get a closed pair. Some will say closed is just perfectly fine for movies, but not in my experience where a good soundstage is required. I also like a decent amount of bass for watching movies with headphones. The AD700 would not work for me with movies and I've tried them. Those might be perfect for games though, at least for a FPS. For music I didn't like them and reminded me of the RE0.

You also should figure out if you want a bass heavy headphone or something more neutral that has a balance of everything. If you like bass even remotely, I would never suggest the AD700. The bass to me was almost non-existent without an EQ change. This was even with a good amp. M50's are not a good match for movies and games I'd imagine, but are pretty good for music if you don't mind the bass. I stuck with them for a couple of months and never could like them much due to the bass and a lot of other issues. I'd actually suggest trying to find the SRH-840 over them if you can. If you have a small head, then the SRH-840 and AD700 are a VERY poor match. The M50s fit fine for me and were somewhat comfortable. I don't suggest buying the SRH-840 for more then $140 though. Right now I've went with the Koss Pro DJ 100 over everything else. They're bad for movies, but would actually be great for games I think. They're nearly as detailed as the AD700, but with more bass. The comfort level is the same as the M50, maybe a tad less comfortable, but much lighter. Soundstage is actually pretty good for a closed headphone. Soundstage and Instrument separation on the M50s is bad. Vocals are so-so too.

The Sennheiser 555 is overall good for just about everything. Movies, games and music. They have a decent amount of bass, but I never found them to be very detailed, so they may not be the best for gaming. They're way better then all of these for comfort. You can easily wear them all day and the sound is not fatiguing at all to me. The sound from them was good, but kind of boring in a way for me. I love my HD-600 though.

If I had to choose between all of these and did 50% movies and 50% music, i'd go with the HD-555 EASILY. I tried my M50s with movies and they were just plain bad, same with my closed DJ Pro 100's. For just music, SRH-840 sounds better to my ears then the M50, but just not as comfortable. The SRH-840's highs also fatigue my ears much faster.

This is how I would rank them in sound quality:

SRH-840 / Pro DJ 100
M50
Sennheiser HD-555
AD700

BTW I guess it's worth pointing out that I prefer a neutral headphone, but one that's still fun to listen to.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 11
oh wow, thanks for all the replies!
I took the day to make some "heavy reading" and research and after all i've read i'm 99% decided to get the Sennheiser HD555 due to:

1 - Comfort.
2 - Overall balance sound with existing bass, not absent like AD700
3 - They are open-air, won't get my ears sweaty after long periods using.
4 - They are sexy as hell. no kidding, i always wanted a Sennheiser. for me the Sennheiser HD570 is one of the sexiest headphones out there and someday i'll buy one just to keep in my personal collection
biggrin.gif

That's it.. as soon as i get mine i'll post my first impressions and maybe a full review on how they behave on FPS games. Unfortunately it's gonna take a while since i'll have to import them and usually it takes 30 to 45 business days for me to receive.

Again, thank you very much for all the replies!
you guys are awesome, and that's the reason for Head-Fi.org be so amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back