Need Help!!!! Sony MDR-1RBT or Audio Technica M50 or Sennheiser Momentum or V-Moda M-100
Feb 18, 2013 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

akash neagi

100+ Head-Fier
Long time window shopper, this time I want to buy something for myself.
I can extend my budget to Aussie $400 for the MDR-1RBT but not any higher than that.
I am going to use a headphone amp I was thinking of getting a Fiio E17.
I will mostly use my Galaxy Note II to listen to songs on the move.
I listen to Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Linkin Park, Skillet, Chris Brown, Pitbull, T-Pain so I will want something that can play diverse songs.
I currently use a Sony XBA-3 and love it but I do think it needs a bit more bass....
Thanks for your help!!!!
atsmile.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 36
Either the Sony or Sennheiser - they're both somewhat 'genre-masters'.
Sony has a more 'fun' and punchy sound.
Momentum has slightly 'veiled' treble, making it a bit more 'easy-listening'.
So chose based on your preference.

They're both great headphones so either way you can't go wrong. They're more similar than they are different.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 36
Neither the Sony or Momentum actually need an amp, but if you're looking for better battery life from your media player or more features like EQ, you should buy something based on those needs.
Most peeps around here really like the FiiO's, but I can't comment as I've never owned one.
I'm using an Electric Avenues PA2V2 because of the long battery life (as long as you have 2 seriously good AA batteries to put in) - however I wouldn't recommend it if you want to go as portable as possible - it's quite fat compared to almost all other options. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:
Long time window shopper, this time I want to buy something for myself.
I can extend my budget to Aussie $400 for the MDR-1RBT but not any higher than that.
I am going to use a headphone amp I was thinking of getting a Fiio E17.
I will mostly use my Galaxy Note II to listen to songs on the move.
I listen to Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Linkin Park, Skillet, Chris Brown, Pitbull, T-Pain so I will want something that can play diverse songs.
I currently use a Sony XBA-3 and love it but I do think it needs a bit more bass....
Thanks for your help!!!!
atsmile.gif

Heya,

Maybe look into:

Mr Speakers Mad Dog with Alpha Pads
Beyer DT770 PRO LE 32ohm or 80ohm
Ultrasone HFI 580 & 780
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K167
Sennheiser Momentum

As for the E17, maybe look at the new E12 too if you want to focus on having an amplifier for your money. But really the E11 would be more than enough for any of the above.

Very best,

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Heya,

Maybe look into:

Mr Speakers Mad Dog with Alpha Pads
Beyer DT770 PRO LE 32ohm or 80ohm
Ultrasone HFI 580 & 780
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K167
Sennheiser Momentum

As for the E17, maybe look at the new E12 too if you want to focus on having an amplifier for your money. But really the E11 would be more than enough for any of the above.

Very best,

after looking at headphones for a long time I made a shortlist of 
MDR-1RBT
Momentum
ATH-M50/ATH-M50S
or cuz cnet says so M-100
and I really want to stick to these.....

But what I am confused about is the E17 vs E12......
what are the differences....
I don't care about the dac feature all I want is a good amp and preferably an eq with it that's why I selected the E17.......

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 36
I have the MDR1RBT, Momentums, and M100. I would not get the MDR1RBT unless you NEED the Bluetooth functionality. As someone with a long commute everyday, it's a lifesaver to not have to worry about the cable to my expensive headphones. That being said, I felt as though the M100s were far better for my bass heavy/fun and punchy music, and the Momentums were better for everything else. I cannot comment on the ATH M50 but as far as I know they are not in the same class as these phones.

Oh, and none of the above really need an amp. They can be driven very easily, I believe. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 36
I have the MDR1RBT, Momentums, and M100. I would not get the MDR1RBT unless you NEED the Bluetooth functionality. As someone with a long commute everyday, it's a lifesaver to not have to worry about the cable to my expensive headphones. That being said, I felt as though the M100s were far better for my bass heavy/fun and punchy music, and the Momentums were better for everything else. I cannot comment on the ATH M50 but as far as I know they are not in the same class as these phones.

Oh, and none of the above really need an amp. They can be driven very easily, I believe. 

Why do you suggest not to thaje the bts?
I want to yse it with the wire.....
Is there any problem when wired......
What is the wired performance like compared to the momentums....
I hear that the M100s are not very comfy so I won't get it.....

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 36
There's no problem when wired. If you do want it just wired, just get the MDR 1R and save a couple hundred bucks! 

But the MDR1RBT vs the Momentums seemed a bit inferior to me. I can't comment on the MDR 1R but the MDR1RBT sounds like a slightly poorer version of the Momentums. Similar sound, but the Momentums are clearer, have a GREAT midrange, and isolate far better. The MDR1RBT sounds similar but a little more "digital" and a bit flatter. 

Both are very comfy, though. The momentums are comfier for SMALLER ears like mine, while the MDR1R series is comfy for just about all ear sizes. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 36
You say that it sounds more "digital" and distorted than the momentums wheb wired?????
I will be using it wired most of the time....
But I will commute on train for 2 hours a day so thats y I want the bt version.....
Plus I have an offer where I can get the bt for the same price as the mdr - 1r. ......
Plus I hear that if I use an e12 which I plan on doing it makes the headphones clearer..... (dont know how much of that is true).....

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 36
Yes, that's what I thought when comparing the two.

I can't advise you on the use of the e12 with the BT, as I do not have experience with that. 

I personally own the BT because of my commute. I love it for that, and it is very convenient, even though it does not isolate as much as the Momentums. And if you can get the BT's for cheap then they are definitely a better deal. I keep my Momentums for my home usage. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 36
Yes, that's what I thought when comparing the two.

I can't advise you on the use of the e12 with the BT, as I do not have experience with that. 

I personally own the BT because of my commute. I love it for that, and it is very convenient, even though it does not isolate as much as the Momentums. And if you can get the BT's for cheap then they are definitely a better deal. I keep my Momentums for my home usage. 

Thanks for the help. ....
I've decided to go with the normal 1r....

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Just saw this thread.  IMO, the 1R won't give you the bass you want.  My vote is M-100 by a mile, especially if you listen to Pitbull.  They are great for all genres as well.  The only advantages of the 1R are comfort and more forward mids.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

lol if I personally could have gotten the bt version for only $300 (price of the normal version), I totally would have gone for that! from what i've read, the sony mdr-1r BT is the best sounding-bluetooth for music there is and the battery charge is like 30hrs. you can always plug in the bluetooth version as it comes w/ a 3.5mm jack too. the lack of wires would be amazing for commutes on a subway/train, so you don't get caught on anything.

if you can hit me up w/ the deal where you can get the BT version for the retail price of the normal version, I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 36
btw: from what i've read, here are the differences between the Momentum, MDR-1R, and M100

M100 -> definitely classified as bass-centric, but the colored sound does not negatively effective the mids & trebles. bass emphasis great for dupstep, electronic, hiphop, techno, pitbull type music (cons: earcups may be too shallow)
MDR-1R -> I heard this classified as mid-centric. heard it has a slightly colored sound with a warm bass. (cons: made of plastic, no case)
MDR-1R is supposedly very very comfortable.
Momentum -> often called very technical and balanced. (cons: earcup might be small)

Honestly, unless you personally do a side-by-side comparison, it is hard for us to know what you personally will prefer. All three are very highly-reviewed, so you can't go wrong with any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back