Need help selecting portable headphones
Jul 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lukas dietrich

New Head-Fier
English is not my first language so please excuse any mistakes. I am a little intimidated about my first post since I am by no means an all knowing audio-phile :)

I have some decently mid range full-sized headphones for home use on my computer and stereo and TV. However, more and more I find myself on the go with a variety of portable devices. While I was in university I picked up some cheap portables for a good price. They sounded average, looked really nice and they are comfortable for extended wearing sessions. The best part is that for me being on a budget at the time they were really cheap. The headphones are the Sennheiser PX-200 collapsible in white. They made great cheap entry level headphones.

Now that I am out of school and established I can considerably up the headphone budget.

I need something that is light weight, preferably collapsible into a carrying case and stylish. However, the most important aspect is how they sound. I don't really know what I am wanting in terms of technical speak. But I think the best way I can describe it is that I want a pair that can help me hear most of what you miss by not using headphones or using poor ones.

Using my full sized headphones I can hear all sorts of little sounds that I had previously missed. I want to recreate this in a portable pair as well as possible.

I hate ear buds. I have owned some 'top priced' ones and sold them or gave them away. They are very uncomfortable and the sound bleeds out around the edges even if they fit the ear almost perfectly.

So those are out of the question.

My budget is probably around 200 Euros but I could go higher if I find the right pair.

The devices I want to use them on are an iPhone, iPad, laptop, PSP and the upcoming Playstation Vita.

I listen to a wide variety of music but mostly rap, hip hop, indie rock, dance, house, electronic, electro pop and Euro pop.

So mostly loud, bassey music with high tempos and a pretty dynamic range.

I also understand that even $2,000 headphones have their limits when you stick them directly into a device like the ones I mentioned and don't use an amp. I understand that above a certain price you begin to get diminishing returns since you are limited by sound hardware.

None of the devices I mentioned have top dollar sound boards and hardware. Even my laptop is probably below mid grade.

Nevertheless, I would still like to find something that gives the best sound possible given the limitations.

One last thing. My cousin has a pair of 'Beats by Dre' which are portable. I have not had an extended listening session with them. They sound pretty average and given the price they seem more 'flash' and marketing than high quality hardware.

I am open to any and all suggestions. I also live in a big city so going to a shop and listening to a demo of the headphones is very possible.

Thanks in advance :)

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 7
This has fallen to page 3.  I will give it one bump and see if I can get a response or two.  If not, then I will go it alone.   

I did read the entire first page of the '80 portable headphones reviewed' page and while it was helpful, it was also a bit overwhelming to read 80 at once.  That thread is also over two years old, so I not sure how much is still relevant.  

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 7
These cans (Sony MDR-Z1000, ATH-ES10, ESW10, Pro 900) offers very detailed sound.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 7
I saw these, I think, in shop.  In fact I saw two pair.  I can't remember the model numbers but one was around 80 Euros and the other was well over 200.  Looking on the company website I see the Adidas HD-25 and then the Adidas HD-220 which is much cheaper.  I assume that is the two pairs I saw in stores.  
I do like the Adidas coloring and styling.  The Sennheiser shop I went to had some exclusive Bayern Munich colored models which I liked a lot as well.  Would the HD-25 price be worth it without a portable amp?

Quote:
Sennhueser hd25-1 II....adidas version for some extra flair
wink.gif

Quote:
These cans (Sony MDR-Z1000, ATH-ES10, ESW10, Pro 900) offers very detailed sound.

I will check these four pairs out as well.  Thank you :)

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Thank you very much for the suggestions :)  
However, these four models from the pictures I found online are just too big.  I think the terminology I should have used earlier is that I am looking for on the ear headphones instead of around the ear.  
Part of my near daily commute is on busy trains mixed with a good deal of walking.  I need something that at the end of my stops I can quickly unplug, fold up and put into my bag in under 20 seconds so that I can leave the train car.  The four models you mentioned look better for home use or if you were traveling mostly on planes and for use in hotel rooms.  

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Few on ear headphones are recommended like JVC on ear with NC, P5, Klipsch Image ONE, Phiaton PS300 NC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back