Need Help Replacing Broken AKG K267s with Something Else
Jun 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Yardstick

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a closed back, over-ear headphone with a sound signature like the AKG K267 - fairly flat FR, but not boring.  I liked the other features of the K267 too, so if I could find a headphone with similar features, that would be a huge bonus.  I might sacrifice features and possibly even the sound quality for something more durable, though.  Any suggestions?  

I wrote a longer, more descriptive post but I don't think it made it past the moderators.  It's been a day, so I'm trying this again.

Jun 27, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 10
Budget is a little flexible but it would have to be pretty special going upwards of $300.

Sources would be either a phone, Sansa Clip+ or Zip, or computer with Magni/Modi. These would be traveling or work headphones so more likely to be plugged into the portable sources.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 10
For on the go use, I recommend the NAD VISO HP50, PSB M4U 1, Focal Spirit Pro or Sony MDR 7520.  These are listed in order from warm to dead neutral (I call it a tie in that regard between the FS and Sony).   See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

and

http://www.cnet.com/products/psb-m4u-1/

The 7520 is a great studio can with a detachable cable that has compatibility with a standard 1/8" male to 1/8" male cable.

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 10
You might also consider the Oppo PM-3. Here's a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/oppo-pm-3-competent-comfortable-mobile-headphone.

Normally $399, but Oppo has refurbished ones listed for $319 on their product listing page: http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=39

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 10
Thank you for the suggestions so far.  The NAD VISO HP50 and PSB M4U 1 are definitely interesting.  I'm not the biggest fan of the looks of either one, though.  Not that looks should matter, but they would have to sound pretty amazing to buy one of those over another set of the K267s.

I like the idea of the Focals, especially since I have some of their speakers.  I have seen some reviews talking about plastic parts cracking, though.  

The Sony and Oppo options are getting a little pricey (the Refurb isn't too bad).  

I think I would rather find something a bit lower priced than all of the suggestions so far.  Ideally around $150 but up to $200 for something really worth it.  I have a couple of flights coming up this year where I would like to have some good isolation (I prefer passive rather than active), good durability (and I don't want to be out $300-500 if they do break), and good comfort.  

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 10
  Thank you for the suggestions so far.  The NAD VISO HP50 and PSB M4U 1 are definitely interesting.  I'm not the biggest fan of the looks of either one, though.  Not that looks should matter, but they would have to sound pretty amazing to buy one of those over another set of the K267s.

I like the idea of the Focals, especially since I have some of their speakers.  I have seen some reviews talking about plastic parts cracking, though.  

The Sony and Oppo options are getting a little pricey (the Refurb isn't too bad).  

I think I would rather find something a bit lower priced than all of the suggestions so far.  Ideally around $150 but up to $200 for something really worth it.  I have a couple of flights coming up this year where I would like to have some good isolation (I prefer passive rather than active), good durability (and I don't want to be out $300-500 if they do break), and good comfort.  

That fine.  However absent a closeout deal coming along, you will take a big step down in quality.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 10
That fine.  However absent a closeout deal coming along, you will take a big step down in quality.

That's understandable. I'm not sure how much that will matter in noisier environments though. I have the AKG K712 that they sent as a replacement for the K267, so I'm covered for the high quality at home experience. I have been eyeing the K550 and could get brave with some wire cutters and a soldering iron to make it more portable friendly. The ATH M50x might work too.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 10

That's understandable. I'm not sure how much that will matter in noisier environments though. I have the AKG K712 that they sent as a replacement for the K267, so I'm covered for the high quality at home experience. I have been eyeing the K550 and could get brave with some wire cutters and a soldering iron to make it more portable friendly. The ATH M50x might work too.

You can also get plastic and metal tie to shorten the cable, sticking the extra in your pocket or shirt.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 10

You can also get plastic and metal tie to shorten the cable, sticking the extra in your pocket or shirt.

That thought crossed my mind too.  I used to do that with the long straight cable for the K267 until I bought a shorter cable.  The other part of the hesitation with the K550 is the very polarizing reviews I've seen, coupled with the measurements at Innerfidelity showing significant differences.  My guess is the K550 would sound more similar to the K712, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I liked that slight sub-bass emphasis on the K267, though.  And the K267 seems like it might have a slighly more forward mid to lower treble compared to the K550.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back