need help/recomendations for headphones
Mar 21, 2006 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

canadiandude

Head-Fier
So ive never had a pair of headphones which cost over 40 CAD somwhere ~35 USD. Right now I pretty much use the set that came with my ipod (well replacement ones cuz the original wire started to fray and dounded staticy... yea nearly pathetic).

first ill start off with what kinda music I like. Hip-Hop, Classic rock, some new rock, acoustic rock, Old bluegrass/hick/50's music (ya know what I mean if ya ever saw "O' Brother where art thou?" great movie btw, latin/salsa (love the strings and trumpets), and last but not least techno.

so my price range could be capped at $150 but if you fell VERY strong about something go to $200 if ya like.

I will mostly be using these on the train, at school, and occasionally at home (maybe more so at home if i like em
biggrin.gif
)

They will be running off an Ipod, and i listen to my music quiter than most ppl so im htinking higher impedance headphonse are an option, cuz the Ipods go pretty loud. I dont know what the standards are but not having to get a plug adapter would be nice (dont take much consideration of the plug tho)

so im thinking of some closed headphones with some nice coushhy padding!.
i have considered canalphones but I dont know if its just my brothers MDR-EX51 but i can hearmyself eating/chewing or any facial adjustment i make ... kinda cool but distracting nonetheless.

the kind of sound im looking for is slightly bright-neutral in the high range. I HATE and ill say it again, I HATE, bloated/sloppy bass. a good example is the Sony MDR-XD100 which a friend of mine owns and i had a chance to test. I enjoy bass that has presence and is slightly emphasized, reaches deep, but those deep notes arent too powerfull. The loudest parts of the bass should be the mid bass. to illustrate take a pair of earbuds
eek.gif
god forbid sombody has a pair laying around, and instead of putting them in normally, have the part which would normally be closeset to the eardrum and point it forward so that its touching that little flap of skin above the earlobe. the part of the headphone wich recieves teh wire should be pointing horizontally ourtward, then slightly press into the ear. (this should not be uncomfortable if it is your doing it wrong). the bass will be more prominent, however higher freq. will be attenuated. I enjoy how the bass sonds when this is done. nice punchy midbass. still would like it a tiny bit louder and further reaching (these deep reaching notes not overpowering however.)

OK IM DONE my bass rant.

to be honest i dont really know what i want out of the rest of the frequency spectrum but i like my trumpets as mentioned above to be bright and the strings to sound natural.

lastly soundstage. i dont want it to sound like the source is from in front, i jsut want a more natural-wide soundstage. (from what i have read this is done by pointing the drives not direcltly into the ear?!, makes sense). anyhooo.. i would be looking at headphonereviews right now if it were not down. but i would love to hear your input, could you please give a short desciption of the headphones you think would be good for me, then i can sort and look at the stickyed reveiws. As ive said b4 ive never had any good headphones and id like to get a pair i can cherrish for a long time. I am a university student so the budget above is quite important to me.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiandude
I HATE and ill say it again, I HATE, bloated/sloppy bass. a good example is the Sony MDR-XD100 which a friend of mine owns and i had a chance to test. I enjoy bass that has presence and is slightly emphasized, reaches deep, but those deep notes arent too powerfull.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

well in lots of hip hop it can be quite overpowering, i guess hates a little strong but i dont want to buy a set of headphones ill regret.
as for home theater.. turn it UP! n' get some drink on.

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 20
Seems like a decently isolating closed headphone is the best option. A K81DJ may still have too much bass, so maybe a HD280? Or why not the HD201, for a start? If you mainly listen in reasonably quiet environments, also consider open cans - I would have suggested looking at DT231, SR-60 (not much soundstage though) and HD555 then.

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Seems like a decently isolating closed headphone is the best option. A K81DJ may still have too much bass, so maybe a HD280? Or why not the HD201, for a start? If you mainly listen in reasonably quiet environments, also consider open cans - I would have suggested looking at DT231, SR-60 (not much soundstage though) and HD555 then.

hd280 for portable? They have a funny headband that sticks out alot.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 20
so far the HD280 (pro im assuming?) looks like a good deal as with the K81DJ, however it was mentioned these may have a bit much bass
I also saw the ATH-A500 these appear to have bloated bass in reviews is this the same for the ATH-A700.

Quote:

The tone the bass of the K81 strikes is very natural, but it’s pretty much the same tone applied to all recordings. That can be frustrating. I wish it had more upper-bass warmth to help flesh it out and enable it to present a larger number of different shadings. As it is, you get a pleasant low rumble that only seems to vary within certain parameters, never fully conforming to the actual sounds as recorded.

Also, instead of a nice clean “brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr” sound, some bass guitar notes occasionally make a rumbling, juddering, quickly stuttering sound, that sounds like “jud-jud-jud-jud-jud-jud-jud-jud” instead of one smooth continuous vibration. This *may* be due to the K81 presenting too much of a load for the Nano to fully drive its bass demands 100% cleanly-- I can’t yet verify, I haven’t had much chance to listen to them on my home rig. I will update on this later.

I read some good reviews on the K271S, it is meantioned that the bass is very nice but "anemic" im assuming this means slightly lacking..?

i am sort of afraid that the upper bass will be less prominant as mentioned in the quote above. i know its difficult to describe because sound is very subjective and everybody has a different taste. hopefully when i have about 10 or so phones I like ill go out shoppin bring the ipod and try them out.

just a question how much do open headphones leak? more than ipod earbuds? Im talking about the grados mostly cuz there seems to be a lot of hype. thanks for the feedback so far.

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

oh i forgot to mention, sounding good unamped is important in my headphone descision

If you like XD100 sound then it's time for you to look at Audio Technica ATH-A500. It would be like changing from old sedan to new twin turbo sports car.

It haves good isolation
Head shaking rich bass (Compare to XD100)
Amp. not needed.

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 20
headphones considering
Beyerdynamic DT770-80
AKG K81DJ
AKG K271S
ATH-A500 (I hear these have bloated bass)
Ultrasone HFI-550 (like these 2 ultrasone's)
Ultrasone HFI-650
However I cant find the ultrasone in canada and I found a pair (650) for a good deal but they essientially cant be returned if im unhappy with them so does anybody know how they sound? so far all i hear is good things (they are supposedly better than the HD280 Pro)

Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

headphones considering
Beyerdynamic DT770-80
AKG K81DJ
AKG K271S
ATH-A500 (I hear these have bloated bass)
Ultrasone HFI-550 (like these 2 ultrasone's)
Ultrasone HFI-650
However I cant find the ultrasone in canada and I found a pair (650) for a good deal but they essientially cant be returned if im unhappy with them so does anybody know how they sound? so far all i hear is good things (they are supposedly better than the HD280 Pro)

Sennheiser HD280 Pro

DT770-80 must be good for you. But unamped it's difficult to drive. ATH-A500 has bloated bass doesn't mean they are like sonys V***. They are waaay better then any <$100 cans anyway. If you need tight bass and more clearity in closed cans, then A900LTD is for you.

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
DT770-80 must be good for you. But unamped it's difficult to drive. ATH-A500 has bloated bass doesn't mean they are like sonys V***. They are waaay better then any <$100 cans anyway. If you need tight bass and more clearity in closed cans, then A900LTD is for you.

Well first I have to say is thank you for your support so far. I've pretty much came from not knowing alot to narrowing down alot over the past month.
when you say that the DT770-80 are hard to drive if i listen to music quietly usually and say cranked my ipod with these would they still be quiet? Is there a headphone widely available that is similar in this fasion that i could go to a store and listen to? Also where the heck would i buy DT770-80 or A900LTD.
the only store i know of that sells headphones of this quality is here http://www.axemusic.com
to get to the headphones go DJ (at the top)-->wired headphones

i saw the Ultrasone HFI-650 "curl" for 110 euros

but ya im pumped to get a new pair of headphones... er my first pair >$60

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

when you say that the DT770-80 are hard to drive if i listen to music quietly usually and say cranked my ipod with these would they still be quiet?

i have the dt770 (ah yea i bought them at my local store, guess it rocks being from austria in terms of headphones
biggrin.gif
) and no, you cant drive them with the ipod.
i have an 4G ipod and even if i crank my ipod up, the beyer arent loud enough. but absolutely lovely otherwise.
what really works well (and my current solution) are sennheiser's hd25. the ipod can drive them. and the sound is very neutral, not bass-driven.
and compared to the dt770 they are very portable and alot better sealed
wink.gif

last thought, at least here, they are exactly 140 euro, so i guess they are withing your price range.

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 20
Try Trew Audio in Canada for the Ultrasones. The have the HFI-700 (formerly the HFI-650) on their site and they should be able to order the HFI-550. Its http://www.trewaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back