need help re-terminating K701 balanced
Nov 15, 2008 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fishski13

Member of the Trade: SolderWorksAudio
i am unable to open up the outer center grill on the earcup housing to take a peek at the wires - they're secured really, really tight. i read this thread already: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/gui...abling-225819/

after cutting off the TRS plug, i can confirm that:
L+ = yellow
R+ = orange
grounds = white and black

shining a flashlight through the L grill reveals: white, yellow, and orange wires only - no black. looking through the R grill reveals: a red and white wire, and again, no black wire to be found.

is it safe to assume that the black wire is L-, and the white wire is R-???

thanks!

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 7
i just took measurements with my DVM:

orange to black, and yellow to white = 60 ohm
orange to white, and yellow to black = mega ohms

so does white = L-, and black = R- ???

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just took measurements with my DVM:

orange to black, and yellow to white = 60 ohm
orange to white, and yellow to black = mega ohms

so does white = L-, and black = R- ???

Sounds like it, if you know for sure that
L+ = yellow
R+ = orange
grounds = white and black

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 7
You could temporarily hook up one driver to the output of any portable source (so it has volume adjustment) and just use jumper wires or something to connect it. That way you'd be 100% sure about what ground goes to what driver. I've seen K701s wired at least two different ways so there is no standard as to what wire goes where unfortunately.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could temporarily hook up one driver to the output of any portable source (so it has volume adjustment) and just use jumper wires or something to connect it. That way you'd be 100% sure about what ground goes to what driver. I've seen K701s wired at least two different ways so there is no standard as to what wire goes where unfortunately.

Additionally you really need to make sure the two drivers are wired in phase, so hook both up. Real bass suckout, etc. would indicate that they are not in phase.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 7
copy that! thanks guys for the help. yes, the white wire = L- in my particular sub-species of K701. fired up my balanced Bijou a bit ago. woot...woot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back