Need help picking an amp
Mar 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Za Warudo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for an amp to pair with my HE-400, Fidelio X1, and Q701. I am currently using a X3 to drive them, but I want a real desktop rig. My budget for the amp is $200 but I would be willing to go over a bit if the performance is worth it. I've heard that the M-Stage pairs well with these HPs, and the Vali as well. I was considering the Audio Gd 15.32 but it seems to be out of stock. The Little Dot I+ and Project Ember also interests me but I'd have to do more research into what tubes to get for them and the cost for tube rolling would ramp up the costs. I'll probably get an Odac as well. Please advise me on what pairs best with my HPs. Thanks!

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 9
I can also second the recommendation for looking into Schiit. I have an Asgard, the original, and I like it very much. Does a nice job with all my headphones, which vary greatly with impedances and sensitivities. I can also say their customer service is great. I don't know anything about the Asgard 2, though. You'll have to research a bit into it's sound.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks, I looked into the Asgard 2 before, but all the opinions I read were that the M-Stage is better. Plus I can find a used M-Stage for cheaper than an Asgard 2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/565361/matrix-m-stage-or-schiit-asgard

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi, I'm looking for an amp to pair with my HE-400, Fidelio X1, and Q701. I am currently using a X3 to drive them, but I want a real desktop rig. My budget for the amp is $200 but I would be willing to go over a bit if the performance is worth it. I've heard that the M-Stage pairs well with these HPs, and the Vali as well. I was considering the Audio Gd 15.32 but it seems to be out of stock. The Little Dot I+ and Project Ember also interests me but I'd have to do more research into what tubes to get for them and the cost for tube rolling would ramp up the costs. I'll probably get an Odac as well. Please advise me on what pairs best with my HPs. Thanks!

You might be able to find a used Audio-GD NFB-15.32 or NFB-11.32.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 9

Just know that the M-Stage is a bright amp.  The Asgard 2 and O2 are more neutral.

Really?  The reviews and impressions I've read say that it's mostly neutral, if not slightly warm.  The A2 is said to be a warm amp, so the M-Stage would sound bright in comparison.

My M-Stage does.  It balances the LCD-2 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back