Need Help Picking a Good Replacement Player
Feb 10, 2017 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ComradeDylie

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I have really loved using my rockboxed Clip Zip for the last few years.  I took good care of it and the jack lasted until recently.  Now its having issues and I guess its time for a replacement.

Im looking for something with similar flat sound characteristics and portability.  I definitely enjoyed the Clip Zip far more than I ever did my iPod.  

Anyway I use it with my JH13s mostly, but also hook it up in the car when Im driving.  All my music is in FLAC so thats a must (I got sick of converting everything to ALAC and thats why Clip Zip > Ipod other than size/weight).  

Just wondering what most people would recommend?

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 12
Get another Clip Zip
Or are you looking to increase the budget?

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 12
If you have IEM's that cost that might as well get a good player to match. The iBasso DX200 seems very promising. If that costs too much then the cheaper iBasso players are also great. I personally use the DX90.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 12
Well I mean I would gladly use another Clip Zip but I cant find any haha.

I used to have an iPod with Hifi M8 modded for IEMs, much preferred the Clip Zip (honestly it doesn't get enough credit, the sound is great).  Budget isnt the issue. Its just that the DX50, 90 etc, are so much bigger and less portable.  Since its mainly being used with IEMs the extra power is not really an issue.  

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 12
  Well I mean I would gladly use another Clip Zip but I cant find any haha.

I used to have an iPod with Hifi M8 modded for IEMs, much preferred the Clip Zip (honestly it doesn't get enough credit, the sound is great).  Budget isnt the issue. Its just that the DX50, 90 etc, are so much bigger and less portable.  Since its mainly being used with IEMs the extra power is not really an issue.  

I liked my Clip Zip, but switched over to a Sony E465 and E474 players, slimer and better screen.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 12

Yeah I just took a look at those, I would think the lack of an SD card slot is a non starter.

Check out the FiiO X1 Gen 2, $99
Not as small as the Clip Zip, but it will work with SD cards.

There are the newer Sony players (A15, A17), but they cost a lot more then the FiiO player

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 12

Check out the FiiO X1 Gen 2, $99
Not as small as the Clip Zip, but it will work with SD cards.

There are the newer Sony players (A15, A17), but they cost a lot more then the FiiO player

Yeah it looks like it is about the size of an iPod classic, is that about right?  

Does it really have a balanced output?  That would be neato.

But I guess its time to whip out the soldering iron and hope for the best.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 12

Yeah it looks like it is about the size of an iPod classic, is that about right?  

Noticeably thicker but not considerably less pocketable.

Does it really have a balanced output?  That would be neato.

It doesn't. You'd have to get the X5III or the X7 with the balanced amp module.

But I guess its time to whip out the soldering iron and hope for the best.

You don't have to, you can just order a balanced cable somewhere. With even cheaper players like the X5 getting balanced output now, at some point more cable fabricators apart from the ones that cater to those who buy only the most expensive DAPs might start offering theirs with TRRS connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back