Need help? Perhaps I might get another Grado?
Jul 11, 2002 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
Yeah, I have all this headphone crud, and want a Grado.
I had an SR60 a while ago and got rid of it. Reason why was it had NO bass, even with the old OBH11 I used.

Now I did love the Grado sound otherwise. I don't know how they do their magic. Freq response curves say exagerrated highs, yet they come off with incredible detail, to me. They were wonderful for chamber music and baroque. I miss them.

So I am thinking of another. I could order from Headroom and audition, but I dont' want to bug them with perhaps a couple of returns.

So I need input first.

Possible drive sources are MG Head OTL, Headroom Little, and Total Airhead, and Rotel Receiver. I doubt if I will use them straight out of a portable. I also understand that some Grado's have a 1/4" plug. I can live with that.

But which Grado? I am on a limited budget now. I just got the Little amp for the bedroom, and the dentist is causing much pain to my wallet.

And what I want to know from you guys is, which Grado has the best bass for the lowest price? That is the key, the low end.
The big test is a GREAT classical CD called "Mephisto & Co." by Reference Recordings, and Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orch. Still around at Amazon. com (highly recommended). The key track on the CD is "Baba Yaga". My speakers shake the teeth out of you with that. I don't expect that from a headphone. But I do expect some representation of low freqs, which the SR60's did not do.

I don't want the super duper expensive ones. Perhaps I could get some insight on the SR125's in detail on this low freq issue.

Post away people! I need the input!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 25
if you are going to go the grado route, don't mess around. get the rs-1, or if you can find one, something from the hp-1000 series (which I personally haven't heard, but all sources seem to indicate are excellent).

Driftwood

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 25
Of all the Grados I have heard, the best bass response (to my ears, of course) is the Grado SR-325, which I own, at a retail of $299, although I paid $230 for a demo pair from Audio Advisor. I also have the SR-60s and gave the SR-80s to my son, because he fell in love with them. Of the two, I felt the SR-80 had a tighter, more well-defined bass response. When I auditioned the SR-80s and the SR-125s, I felt there wasn't that much of a difference in sound to warrant a $50 increase in price. However, I did feel that the SR-80s were well worth the $30 price difference when compared to the SR-60s.
As for your contemplation of the MG Head, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to like Grados (low impedance?). Every Grado that I have tried has suffered sonically when paired with the Head..........thin, screechy, strident, and bass shy.
If you are on a limited budget, I would recommend the SR-80s as a step-up from your current SR-60s. Although I haven't heard it, from what I've read here, the Little should drive them quite nicely. But for pure bass response, as I stated earlier, the SR-325s are hard to beat. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 25
I had the SR60, 80 and landed with the SR325. The bass, especially the lower end sounded better to me. My thinking also was not wanting to make "little" jumps.
Try finding a used set of 325s. You could always turn them around for what you paid.

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
But for pure bass response, as I stated earlier, the SR-325s are hard to beat.

You're darn right, joelongwood. Those that know me around here will tell you that the 325s are one of my very favorite dynamic headphones. Not only do they churn out the deep and tight bass, but they do so many other things right too. The 325s really make me tap my foot!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 25
For cheap then I would go with the SR80. It has more bass then the 60. The only thing I didn't like about the 80 was the way it sounded on top. It was way too bright for me at higher volumes.

Jul 11, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 25
acid,

Nice avatar!

fredp,

325s. Joelongwood's input on these cans helped me decide which Grados to buy again. I started this whole mess with the SR 80s then sold them. Sellers remorse set in and I wound up buying the 325s. Great bass, CRISP highs especially with my OBH11SE. 325/MG Head is good as well, but they pair up better with the Creek.

Regards - reynman

Jul 11, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 25
Ok. 325?

The sr225 are supposed to be the same but are plastic instead of aluminum?

Would that make the sound of the 225 very similar, especially basswise, to the 325?

Jul 11, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 25
I believe the 225 actually has metal earcups, just not polished silver and the chamber isn't as large as the 325's.

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 25
Not to hijack this thread, but to all you SR325 owners, what is the difference going to the RS1?
I like the uh...pop the SR325 has, and seems most nice reviews of the RS1s come from Senn HD600 owners.
I may be selling my surfboard soon and the RS1 will be within reach.
thanks,
md

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Not to hijack this thread, but to all you SR325 owners, what is the difference going to the RS1?

To my ears, the RS-1 is a warmer sounding headphone with a much thicker, syrupy lower midrange. It doesn't have the "pop" of the 325s. Depending on your musical tastes, you may actually prefer the RS-1s for certain musical genres. For good old kick ass rock & roll, the 325s reign supreme.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
Joe, go one more step:
RS1 and HPseries....

Not a fair fight.......to my ears, the HP-1s are simply in a different league. They are the most well balanced, full sized headphones I have. Nothing jumps out at you, but everything is there. A true reference headphone. Kind of like full-size Etymotics.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Not a fair fight.......to my ears, the HP-1s are simply in a different league. They are the most well balanced, full sized headphones I have. Nothing jumps out at you, but everything is there. A true reference headphone. Kind of like full-size Etymotics.
smily_headphones1.gif

joelongwood, I can't remember, do you use the old flat donut pads or the bowl pads when you describe the sound of your RS-1 and HP-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back