Need help on what to purchase
May 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gekopa

New Head-Fier

I come to you with a budget management question. 
Right now, my current setup is just a JVC HARX900 with a PA2V2 amp and my PC's onboard audio, listening to music encoded in FLAC. 

To "upgrade" my listening experience, I was wondering whether I should buy a USB DAC, or get better headphones. 

I demoed the Beyerdynamic DT880's at a local Guitar Center, and pretty much loved what I was hearing, but didn't really like the build of the headphones, as it felt kinda fragile (to me at least).

I was told of NwAvGuy's ODAC, which promises great things for its price, and thought it might be a good purchase for my first amp. 

With $600, what should I buy; headphones, the ODAC+Headphones, a standalone DAC, or something else? Any suggestions, tips, and advice would be welcome. I'm new here, so please don't expect me to know much about audio equipment, but I'm always open to new knowledge.

May 21, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 18
better headphones first. No point in getting an expensive amp/dac for for inexpensive headphone. I cant speak for the dt880 but my dt770 is build like a tank. Ive dropped it many times and no damage done. And From what Ive read from others is that the whole dt line is build solid. Guitar Center has a 30 day return  policy so you can always get them and try them out at home. If they still feel wrong return them :)

May 21, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 18
An Asus DX is an expensive way to boost the quality from your PC.
But if you dont need the functionality. Then the ODA + ODAC could be worth the wait.

May 21, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
An Asus DX is an expensive way to boost the quality from your PC.

Did you mean inexpensive ? In any case, it would work well in combination with an O2 (or alone for those who do not need high volume and like the sound of 100 Ohm output impedance).

May 21, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 18
One of my favourite home cans is the JVC RX-700 and i got a Fiio E7 used on the dirt cheap and it's definitely a step up from onboard audio 
tongue_smile.gif
 If u have a healthy budget i would say aim for better cans first 

May 21, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Did you mean inexpensive ? In any case, it would work well in combination with an O2 (or alone for those who do not need high volume and like the sound of 100 Ohm output impedance).

Whoops, inexpensive

May 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 18
What's your opinion of the Denon AH-D5000? I read it has good bass that doesn't drown out the other aspects of the sound, and is top tier for it's price range ($400-500). I could get those and then save up for a good amp at around the same price rance (any recommendations?)

Thanks for your input!

May 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
What's your opinion of the Denon AH-D5000? I read it has good bass that doesn't drown out the other aspects of the sound, and is top tier for it's price range ($400-500). I could get those and then save up for a good amp at around the same price rance (any recommendations?)

Thanks for your input!

Well it follows the law of diminishing returns, but it is an improvement, and the whole line has been discontinued so there are good specials available now. 
You dont need an amp, they do benefit from a good source though, and a good one would be the Yulong D100 II, which fits the budget, I am saving for one currently to pair with my D7000.

And the Yulong is a nice all in one with many inputs, and a neutral HP amp built in, which is more then enough for the D5000, the mk II version is supposedly slightly warmer, and has a better USB chip

May 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 18
Just looked into the the D100, and it does look like what I'm looking for!
Thanks for the recommendation. I will go with the D5000 and the D100 for now, unless I find something more suitable for me, or change my mind. I am not buying anything for another month, so who knows what I might find. 

Thanks for all the help!

May 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Just looked into the the D100, and it does look like what I'm looking for!
Thanks for the recommendation. I will go with the D5000 and the D100 for now, unless I find something more suitable for me, or change my mind. I am not buying anything for another month, so who knows what I might find. 

Thanks for all the help!

its a pleasure GL on your journey!

And remember NO TUBES for the Denon, and check for output impedance, it must be below 4ohms, and ideally below 2ohms (best case 0~1ohms)

May 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 18
After reading a bunch of reviews for the Denons, I have developed a few doubts on whether they're best for me, as many claim they do not clamp well to your head and have unbalanced sound. 

I have read a lot of good reviews for the Sennheiser HD 650 however, which people claim to be top tier when properly amped, and have a level of comfort that's almost too good to be true. 

If I were to get those instead, what would be a good idea for a DAC+amp combo at around $600?

May 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
After reading a bunch of reviews for the Denons, I have developed a few doubts on whether they're best for me, as many claim they do not clamp well to your head and have unbalanced sound. 

I have read a lot of good reviews for the Sennheiser HD 650 however, which people claim to be top tier when properly amped, and have a level of comfort that's almost too good to be true. 

If I were to get those instead, what would be a good idea for a DAC+amp combo at around $600?

Denons are not balanced because of the emphasized bass, and highs. Its not bad and its not a lot, it adds to the experience and doesn't detract from it. The HD650 require AMP rolling to get what you want, and can cost a fair amount at the end of the day.

If your going to listen to the odd bass heavy song then I highly doubt the D5000 will give you issues.

I do still classify them as all rounders. and not bass heavy like Ultrasones.

they are very comfortable, and do have low clamp, why is that an issue? On a side note they also leak sound more then some open cans.

May 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 18
I don't listen to many bass intensive music, actually.
I'm getting the headphones as a graduation present, and I was planning on using some of the money I got from relatives to purchase a DAC/Amp

May 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 18
I don't listen to many bass intensive music, actually.
I'm getting the headphones as a graduation present, and I was planning on using some of the money I got from relatives to purchase a DAC/Amp

Well if you prefer, a good alternative without the bass (which imho is not an issue) is the HE-400, I have no idea on an amp tho.... But it's more or less in the same boat as the Denons AFAIK.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

May 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 18
You know what? I'll take my chances and go with the Denons. I'm sure I won't regret it. 

Now, what is the best DAC/amp I can get under $500 for the Denons? Should I go with the Yulong D100? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back