Need help on RKV tube rolling
Nov 18, 2002 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dnic

New Head-Fier
Dear all RKV owners,

I want to find some tubes for backup the stock PoLamp tubes in RKV. Do you have experience on using other PCL805 tubes and how they sound? Many thanks.

Dnic

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 9
Dnic,

Thsi amp seems to have little info on tuberolling here on the site, but try doing a search from HERE on the words RKV and tuberolling. Illoked yesterday and only found Hirsch's recommendation about a 7308 series tube!

Happy hunting!!!

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 9
Dnic,

I've tried Mullard tubes in my RKV, the differences between the stock Polamps and Mullards are very slight to non existant. I like this about the RKV, the only tubes I can find are under $6 a piece.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by 88Sound
Dnic,

I've tried Mullard tubes in my RKV, the differences between the stock Polamps and Mullards are very slight to non existant. I like this about the RKV, the only tubes I can find are under $6 a piece.
wink.gif

I've heard both the Polamps and Mullards on Dusty Chalk's RKV, and IMO the differences are minimal. I know that there are Amperex PCL85's out there, but the trick is to find them...

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Dear Headfellows,

I discussed tube-rolling with Mr. Becker (the manufacturer) extensively. According to him the sound of the RKV is very insensitive to the tube used. The reason is the very low distortion this amp has (unlike most other tube amplifiers).

People searching for tubes can contact me. I can provide both Polamps and Telefunken tubes.

Cheers,

Jan

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 9
I've found it to not matter on the few tubes I've tried and the Polamps to be the best by some tiny margin that may be more attributable to tube burn in.

Jan
Have you had opportunity to test out Telefunkens in the RKV? I'd be interested in your opinion of how they compare to the Polamps or if you hear a difference at all.

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 9
Your feedbacks are great.
wink.gif

What I will do is ordering some Telefunken PCL805 from Jan if they are at the price that Jan had quoted to me. Very reasonable.

One HK tube supplier quoted Valvo tube for $25 @ and I rushed out to the door.

Hirsch,
Is the Amperex PCL85 interchangable with the PCL805? I know little about tubes.

Nov 21, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 9
The PCL85, PCL805, and 18GV8 (or is it VG8? I never remember) are the same tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back