Need help on headphones ( Sennheiser, AT or Sony or Beyerdynamics)
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:
very true...
They do substantially improve though :D 

Just got given a Rotel RKB-650 from my work (they were chucking it out!) Complete overkill but for free!! little bit of cable splicing and I've got myself something ridiculous. 

whoa that looks badass
eek.gif
 how does the HD558 do with that amp?

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:
whoa that looks badass
eek.gif
 how does the HD558 do with that amp?

no idea! I ride a motorcycle and it's too big to strap to the back without some serious physics-based comedy..
plugged it in today with some spliced cable at my work with some cheapo buds from a blackberry or something, didnt realise they were still set to ridiculous shop volume (from a very popular uk clothing brands store, delivered to head office, was given it by the head of loss prevention!!) and they got pretty loud before killing both buds.. experimentation is necessary. 

Will be getting it home tomorrow night - I predict a serious "beside you in time" on blu-ray evening :D 
Pics will happen. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #33 of 34
Quote:
no idea! I ride a motorcycle and it's too big to strap to the back without some serious physics-based comedy..
plugged it in today with some spliced cable at my work with some cheapo buds from a blackberry or something, didnt realise they were still set to ridiculous shop volume (from a very popular uk clothing brands store, delivered to head office, was given it by the head of loss prevention!!) and they got pretty loud before killing both buds.. experimentation is necessary. 

Will be getting it home tomorrow night - I predict a serious "beside you in time" on blu-ray evening :D 
Pics will happen. 

lol i see, okay sure looking foward to them
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:
lol i see, okay sure looking foward to them
tongue.gif

ok.. holy crap, this thing is LOUD. 
Got some old 50w 25-30 year old Aiwa speakers I always loved from my mum (speakers I grew up with) - wired them in, turned the gain down as low as it'll go and stepped it up. 
At about 1/10th it was too loud for my small flat at about 10pm-ish. 
I cannot wait for later on (after I actually go to bed.. I've been fiddling with it for about 6 hours now listening to everything.
Through the phones (yeah.. wired them in with a 6.3mm female jack out of the speaker output B...! (volume control, PAH!)) and they seriously get driven to within an inch of their usable life... the 280's have taken a ridiculous amount of abuse that I'm not going to bring into my still fairly new relationship with my 558's so the 280's drew the short straw. 

Started out excessively bass heavy but after about 5-10 mins of being on they sprung to life unleashing little details I've not heard before - on my backup pair. 

I love this thing! 

558's just blew my mind. Listened to Portishead - Dummy in FLAC... tomorrow, if it's still raining is going to be a day well spent sitting in front of my new very heavy black Rotel with a pair of moderately expensive headphones strapped to my head coupled with a massive grin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back