Need help on headphones ( Sennheiser, AT or Sony or Beyerdynamics)
Nov 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:
the HD650 is very luch, warm and smooth (i tried it for a while at the shop, and i love it too! unfortunately.... $$$) well the midrange king is the HD598 i feel. the singher's voice is really lifelike (but i may be wrong though)
without the amp the HD598 and HD650 have similar overall quality, just the HD650 edging it in treble detail and lushness, the HD598 however has a wider soundstage and a more airy feel than the HD650 though.

hmm what if i can spend about 400$ on cans. would u recommend me the 650HD instead of 600/558? ( i dislike the 598 appeareance as the colors disgust me No offence guys.)
as u've already know what music i listen too.. but i dont always listen to sentimental music.. i sometimes litsen to pop too, kpop when im in the mood.. so dont get me wrong.. thanks anyways for helping me :) 

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 34
Hey, hmm but why aren't u recommending me the Sennheisers? ( just curious) those looks cool. but will it be over budget for me? now im having a hard time deciding the Beyers or Sennheisers. the M50's are probably out of my list now.
EDIT: the 880 are actually over budget for me. as i can only get the  770. within my budget. so yea..
At Amazon there only $197 on used from Amazon. I actually just bought one yesterday.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B000F2BLTM?c=u&qid=1352918744&sr=8-1

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:
hmm what if i can spend about 400$ on cans. would u recommend me the 650HD instead of 600/558? ( i dislike the 598 appeareance as the colors disgust me No offence guys.)
as u've already know what music i listen too.. but i dont always listen to sentimental music.. i sometimes litsen to pop too, kpop when im in the mood.. so dont get me wrong.. thanks anyways for helping me :) 

well if you can spend $400, i suggest do get the HD650, it will be better out of the box, and even better amped. also the HD600 and HD650 are more of the same level. just that the HD650 is more smooth, the HD600 is more neutral

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:
well if you can spend $400, i suggest do get the HD650, it will be better out of the box, and even better amped. also the HD600 and HD650 are more of the same level. just that the HD650 is more smooth, the HD600 is more neutral

Hello! thanks again for the reply. what do u mean by smooth and neutral? im not sure which 1 am i... so yea care to explain? but of course, if i can get the most out of it w/o 400$ that would be even better! but normally as the saying goes ' you pay what you get for'. so the HD650 and 600 are the same level......... what about the 558HD? heard alot of postiive reviews about those cans too..

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #20 of 34
You know what guys? i guess i'd probably get either a 650/600 WITH an amp. i've read that these 2 babies are MUCH better with an amp. but i DO NOT want a BIG amp.. is there like a portable amp that i can probably slide it in my pocket but will still be on par with those big amps? ( i would not want to spent alot on amps cuz i'd probably be broke after purchasing the 650/600)

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #21 of 34
well the HD558 the HD558 being a full ~$300 cheaper than the HD650, but only being slightly worse than the HD650 assuming both are unamped. so it really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

the HD558's strengths are its large soundstage and natural and lifelike mids. the sound is quite airy too and spaceous. the treble is present but is not prominent enough to be bright or fatiguing.
the HD650 however has more lower midrange and bass, making the sound smoother cause its treble is less prominent and even less fatiguing. soundstage isn't as large as the HD558 so the sound feels a little closer to you and less spacoues. its treble is more refined than the HD558 though, overall sound is more refined too. 
but nevertheless the HD558 is still a good headphone, the treble detail is the main drawback imo

note: aaaaand im off to bed now, see ya
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:
well the HD558 the HD558 being a full ~$300 cheaper than the HD650, but only being slightly worse than the HD650 assuming both are unamped. so it really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

the HD558's strengths are its large soundstage and natural and lifelike mids. the sound is quite airy too and spaceous. the treble is present but is not prominent enough to be bright or fatiguing.
the HD650 however has more lower midrange and bass, making the sound smoother cause its treble is less prominent and even less fatiguing. soundstage isn't as large as the HD558 so the sound feels a little closer to you and less spacoues. its treble is more refined than the HD558 though, overall sound is more refined too. 
but nevertheless the HD558 is still a good headphone, the treble detail is the main drawback imo

wink.gif

i can see u're preety sleepy lol, ''well the HD558 the HD558'', anyways that's not an issue.. hmm, i've seen this thread http://www.google.com.my/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.head-fi.org%2Ft%2F527355%2Fsennheiser-hd650-or-hd600-do-they-really-need-an-amp%2F30&ei=k-ujUK7mE8bNrQfguoDQBQ&usg=AFQjCNH_95zkbq1pHV78KKoLr12_wPx67Q
everyone there seems to recommend to get an amp for the 650/600 so im a little bit worried now. Yes, the 558 are HELL lot more cheaper than the 650/600.. hmm as u know what music genre i've listened to which would u recommend me? 650/600/558? ( lets not talk about budget) and if u do recommend me the 600/650 which portable amp should i get? or is the portable amp enough to sound as good as those normal amps?

EDIT: i did my research again ( its almost 3:30 am and im still doign this)  and i found the fiio e11 ( for about 50$ quite reasonable for me) to be suited the best for 600/650. is it true? and the size is just amazing! so darn portable and could sound as good as those big amps. so i hope u could help me on this. whether its true or not or what would u recommend me?

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
You know what guys? i guess i'd probably get either a 650/600 WITH an amp. i've read that these 2 babies are MUCH better with an amp. but i DO NOT want a BIG amp.. is there like a portable amp that i can probably slide it in my pocket but will still be on par with those big amps? ( i would not want to spent alot on amps cuz i'd probably be broke after purchasing the 650/600)

Heya,

If you're not willing to invest in proper source equipment to power these headphones, then you might as well not try to buy into them. They're expensive on top of needing decent source gear to even bother using them. I would not use either of them unamplified, ever, because they're just not going to sound like the $400~500 you drop on them new, without proper equipment.

If you wanted a Sennheiser, I would suggest the HD595 as a starting point if you don't want to use an amp. And even then I would still use one, such as the Fiio E10 or Fiio E11 (portable). Total cost is well under budget.

But this is why I recommended the ones I did earlier; if the DT880 was out of your range, then Sennheiser should be way out of range because of source equipment cost requirement. The DT880 will be a lot easier to drive well. The DT880 with a Fiio E10/11 for example is a great combination and inexpensive.

Very best,

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:
Heya,

If you're not willing to invest in proper source equipment to power these headphones, then you might as well not try to buy into them. They're expensive on top of needing decent source gear to even bother using them. I would not use either of them unamplified, ever, because they're just not going to sound like the $400~500 you drop on them new, without proper equipment.

If you wanted a Sennheiser, I would suggest the HD595 as a starting point if you don't want to use an amp. And even then I would still use one, such as the Fiio E10 or Fiio E11 (portable). Total cost is well under budget.

But this is why I recommended the ones I did earlier; if the DT880 was out of your range, then Sennheiser should be way out of range because of source equipment cost requirement. The DT880 will be a lot easier to drive well. The DT880 with a Fiio E10/11 for example is a great combination and inexpensive.

Very best,

hello thanks for the reply! Hmm i agree.. but if i could get the Fiio E11 for the sennheisers 650/600, do u think its a good choice? i've did plenty of research, the sennheiser 650/600 HD WOULD NOT sound superb fresh out from the box. those babies required an amp to sound like a 'true sennheiser 600/650hd headphones'. but if i could get the 650/600 and the Fiio E11 will it make the sound 'to sennheiser 600/650 quality?'. 

about the DT880, hmm i've heard that they have alot of bass?? which is good that i love it but will it have clarity as well?

well to be honest, my friend is going on a trip. so i can only get the headphones+ amps ' one shot' cause my country dosent sell those amps/headphonse even if they do sell its overpriced..
but i WOULDNT like a headphones with just clarity that would be freakin boring.  at the same time i wouldnt want a headphone with too much of a bass.. u know what i mean?

of course its good if i can get a good headphones below my budget. So the conclusion is: if i do get 880/770/990 ( whats the difference? compare to my music genre) will it sound better than sennheiser 600/650 HD? i would certainly prefer not to get an amp.. but if the sound quality is freakin blunt ( like the 650/600) then probably i'd have to get 1.. 

damn now im confused :X, as i only have about 1 day/ 2 days left of research in order to ask my friend to get the headphones/ amps for me.i truly hope u can help me out as i assume u're a very very experienced audophile. if u do recommend 1 of those above, which amp should i get? to make the best out of it.. preferbably portable

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

wink.gif

Take those damn strips out! 
Bass is fuller and theres a LOT more detail with the treble on the 558's :D

I've had a fair bit of time with hd600's, they seriously need an amp to warrant the cost, its like buying a PS3 and using it with a 14" CRT TV... then watching a Blu-Ray and saying it looks no better on it. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #26 of 34
I know it is not one of the brands you are asking about but since the price range is ~$400 and you might be getting an e11, I have to ask... Have you thought about the HE-400?  It has an amazing soundstage AND good bass.  Something very few cans can accomplish, especially at that price range.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:
Take those damn strips out! 
Bass is fuller and theres a LOT more detail with the treble on the 558's :D

I've had a fair bit of time with hd600's, they seriously need an amp to warrant the cost, its like buying a PS3 and using it with a 14" CRT TV... then watching a Blu-Ray and saying it looks no better on it. 

well about detail you see.... my good friend has a srh940
tongue.gif
 (so my frame of reference is screwed)

also i took out the strips in mine and also the lining inside the earcup (removing the lining added more weight and solidness into the bass)
but i wrote my post to refer to the stock one (since that is the actual one we by)

yeap i agree, its only marginally better , not $300 better if both unamped. 

and to OP, i haven't heared the DT880/990 and He 400 before so i can't really comment

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:
well about detail you see.... my good friend has a srh940
tongue.gif
 (so my frame of reference is screwed)

also i took out the strips in mine and also the lining inside the earcup (removing the lining added more weight and solidness into the bass)
but i wrote my post to refer to the stock one (since that is the actual one we by)

yeap i agree, its only marginally better , not $300 better if both unamped. 

and to OP, i haven't heared the DT880/990 and He 400 before so i can't really comment

any idea what removing the outer shell fabric would do? more air flow obviously but I'm too scared to cut mine up :) 
might just wait for the inevitable rip and see what happens. 

I guess your reference is only up to what you've heard. for many years the best sound I'd ever heard was from my over-the-head-with-a-metal-wire Sony's I had bundled with a cassette Walkman how I miss those! 
Would be a shame to start out with something like a HD650, it kinda kills the thrill of finding better headphones and falling in love over and over again. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:
any idea what removing the outer shell fabric would do? more air flow obviously but I'm too scared to cut mine up :) 
might just wait for the inevitable rip and see what happens. 

I guess your reference is only up to what you've heard. for many years the best sound I'd ever heard was from my over-the-head-with-a-metal-wire Sony's I had bundled with a cassette Walkman how I miss those! 
Would be a shame to start out with something like a HD650, it kinda kills the thrill of finding better headphones and falling in love over and over again. 

well i have absolutely no idea, i don't dare to take mine off, its binded by glue under the silver rim around the grill (i have taken it off before) 
well true about the headphone progression, the HD558 would be a safer option, then during that time he can develop his taste and listening. afterall it doesn't really need amping

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:
well i have absolutely no idea, i don't dare to take mine off, its binded by glue under the silver rim around the grill (i have taken it off before) 
well true about the headphone progression, the HD558 would be a safer option, then during that time he can develop his taste and listening. afterall it doesn't really need amping

very true...
They do substantially improve though :D 

Just got given a Rotel RKB-650 from my work (they were chucking it out!) Complete overkill but for free!! little bit of cable splicing and I've got myself something ridiculous. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back