Need help on deciding between headphones.
Jul 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Decide4me

New Head-Fier
I have recently been in the market for new Headphones. i am not a "audiophile" but I want a good quality headphones that look very nice. Doing some research I narrowed by ideas to 2 headphones. If you have any other ideas my price range is 0-190 dollars. 

The first pair has been getting a Overpriced reviews. They are the Dr.Dre studio beats.
I want these because they are very showy and have been having my eye on these. 
I found a pair (Do not know if these are fake or Real) and they are for 160-275

The second pair is the 

[size=medium] AKG K 142 Hi Definition Headphones[/size]

These are at a fair price. I found a pair for $60 in my town. 

So my question is which is a better pair or really good alternatives to these within my price range. 

Thanks, headphone buyer.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 14
I like The ideas. All of them (Ultrasone HFI-580, Phiaton MS400, B&W P5) Are nice looking. But I am also wanting real good top of the line. Many forums and reviews claim the Studios are Overpriced, But alot of people Always claim of better headphones that are half the price.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 14
You won't find anyone here suggesting you buy Beats for full price, overall concensus is that they are overpriced for their value (not just sound quality but build quality - $200+ for cheap flimsy plastic)

Also you will get better suggestions if you share a bit more detail about what you are looking for (ie what type of music you listen to, do you have an amp, is portability important, etc) or maybe you really are just after looks, which is fine as well. The Phiaton look pretty sweet and have great reviews. I also find all of the Denon headphones to be very attractive. Also any headphone with wood on it (some audio technica, grado, etc) looks uber sexy. Good luck bro

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 14
A good buddy of mine has Beats Studios, and I've listened to them a lot. If the HFI-580 sounds like a bass heavy version of my 680 I'd take it over the Beats for sure, there's just not >$150 worth of difference between the two and we both think so.

I mean on something like this vs my 680's the Beats do move more air, but they sound muddier and don't even hit low quite as confidently, you can hear them rolling off a little. If that's how they stack up vs $140 headphones I'm sure you can do way better with your $300. Check out some Ultrasones or Denons if it's just bass and looks you're after.

Also $160 for Beats? Pretty sure they're fake bro.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 14
Seeing that you're new to headphones, I'd say the Ultrasone HFI-580/DJ1. You can add the Audio Technica Pro700 MK2 to your list if you like the looks of it :)

Comparison review in my sig if you need it.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
A good buddy of mine has Beats Studios, and I've listened to them a lot. If the HFI-580 sounds like a bass heavy version of my 680 I'd take it over the Beats for sure, there's just not >$150 worth of difference between the two and we both think so.

I mean on something like this vs my 680's the Beats do move more air, but they sound muddier and don't even hit low quite as confidently, you can hear them rolling off a little. If that's how they stack up vs $140 headphones I'm sure you can do way better with your $300. Check out some Ultrasones or Denons if it's just bass and looks you're after.

Also $160 for Beats? Pretty sure they're fake bro.

I'm sure you meant for him to check Ultrasone or Denon if he wants headphones with emphasized bass that doesn't muddle up the rest of the spectrum.

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:

I'm sure you meant for him to check Ultrasone or Denon if he wants headphones with emphasized bass that doesn't muddle up the rest of the spectrum.

I heard these where one of the "promblems" about the beats about the bass muffling out Mid highs.
And for Real vs Fake Dr.Dre I have done enough research about them to know the diffrence. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
You won't find anyone here suggesting you buy Beats for full price, overall concensus is that they are overpriced for their value (not just sound quality but build quality - $200+ for cheap flimsy plastic)

Also you will get better suggestions if you share a bit more detail about what you are looking for (ie what type of music you listen to, do you have an amp, is portability important, etc) or maybe you really are just after looks, which is fine as well. The Phiaton look pretty sweet and have great reviews. I also find all of the Denon headphones to be very attractive. Also any headphone with wood on it (some audio technica, grado, etc) looks uber sexy. Good luck bro

I was actually finding a pair on craigslist. I like them alot but not 300 worth of like. I was looking into the grado but How good is there sound quality?

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 14
Decide4me, don't put words on my quotes that I haven't wrote.

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 14
And for what I want in these headphones:
I would use these alot so flexibility is important. That's a good reason for the studios

I listen too movies on my laptop and some Hip hop, Rap, Rock but i mostly listen to comedy.

I like noise canncelling because When i listen to things I want to be immersed In my music.

My current headphones are coby cv215 in red.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 14
I think he just accidentally wrote his response into your quote box. Anyway, if the headphone is Head-Fi approved, it is almost guaranteed to be better than Beats. with the exception of the Pro of course.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

For sure, didn't word that carefully. Both just have reputations for nice bass and looking good.

Decide4me don't get me wrong Studios are actually really good at hiphop, if that's all you listen to you can do a lot worse for $160. Just that for anything else they sound muddy and the lingering bass gets annoying fast, that's really my problem with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back