Need help oicking a sound card!
Nov 13, 2008 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lionking

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!
Pleasure to meet you!
My first post here! :wink:
I hope i am at the right place... i red some of the hardware recommendations from the sticky links, but they are extremely outdated, 9-10 years in computer world like a century in the real one :wink:
I would like to ask few questions please!

I am looking for a high quality sound card, for playing LOSSLESS audio on my HTPC hooked to a high end stereo system,
My current setup is HTPC with Creative 5.1 connected to a simple Yamaha 5.1 Receiver and Yamaha speakers which is enough for me at the moment for movies. BUT
I do have a proper High- End STEREO system (LYNN) with preamp, power and LYNN speakers as well (FOR MUSIC ONLY), since i dont want to invest into a proper CD player, and the majority of my music is digital (LOSSLESS format) anyway, i would like to play it on HTPC, the questions are:
1. What card can i use for that in the budget of $200-$500
2. Can i use one card for movies(Media Player Classic/Beyond Media Player) and one for stereo (Foobar2000) if not
3. Can i get a card that can deliver both GREAT STEREO and 5.1 as well in the budget of $200-500?

Thank you for your help!

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 4
> 2. Can i use one card for movies(Media Player Classic/Beyond
> Media Player) and one for stereo (Foobar2000) if not

Yes, if the drivers are compatible.

1. What card can i use for that in the budget of $200-$500

Search threads on this forum and other places on the net.

Some brand names:
E-MU
ESI
Audiotrak
Onkyo
ASUS
Auzentech

more expensive:
RME
Lynx

I've listed some names for PCI soundcards. If your current soundcard (or on-board sound) has optical or digital output, you could also consider getting a free-standing DAC. There are DACs that connect to your PC via USB cable.

There are few places to look for reviews of soundcards that include any actual measurements. One site is

Digit-Life - Computer Hardware In Detail

Good luck!

Bill

3. Can i get a card that can deliver both GREAT STEREO and 5.1 as well in the budget of $200-500?

Yes, some of the brands I listed offer 5.1 cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back