Need help mounting heatsinks
Nov 30, 2008 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok guys, I ordered a bunch of stuffs and realised that I don't have everything I need.
biggrin.gif

I got some of these heat sinks for TO-220 MOSFET.

Standard Products Found

They have a pin mount at the bottom to attach to the PCB.

I've also gotten myself some Thermasil pad and some insulating shoulder washer. What else do I need to mount these things?

What do I need to secure those pins to the PCB? Or can I pull out those pins and put in some generic screws? Don't tell me I am supposed to solder these pins to the PCB.
biggrin.gif

If I mounted the heat sink to the PCB, would the Thermasil pads suffice to hold the MOSFET to the heatsink?

If I do need some bolt and nuts, would the generic ones work? I guess the insulating shoulder washer should be on the MOSFET side of the sandwich?

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 8
You do need to solder those pins to the board.

And, yes you do need to bolt the mosfets to the heatsinks. Once agin you are correct that the shoulder washers go between the bolt and the mosfet.

Here's an example form Tomb's brilliant Millett Max site. (Scroll down to Solder the Heat Sinks and Output Transistors (or MOSFETs) - )

Also check out this link to aavidthermalloy's page on mounting kits.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Only use a small amount of solder for the pins, you're only aiming to tack them down.

I'm pretty sure that I haven't seen a real good method for removing the pins. I recall seeing it done, they then tapped a thread and mounted them using small screws...very tidy. I might buy some cheapy 'sinks and test a few ideas that I have.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the Thermasil, does it matter which side the adhesive is on? Or should it be on the MOSFET side?

Since the Thermasil pad is typically much larger than the MOSFET/transistor, it's more convenient to stick it on the heat sink.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 8
If you're using those heat sinks, why use insulators at all? As long as they don't touch it'll be fine, and you'll get better heat transfer with thermal goo instead of a heat pad.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 8
Dec 1, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 8
I am someone who can't promise that I won't put my hand inside my amp when it is in operation.
biggrin.gif

I knew about the mounting kit, and I thought that it is cheaper to order them separately. Now I know that the missing cents goes to the bolts, nuts and washers that I'm missing right now.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back