Need help in understanding and choosing the right headphone
Aug 16, 2018 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Elram

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I am planning on getting a new headphone, but have a few concerns. Which headphone would be the best for mainly gaming and some movie/music(I mainly listen to pop and soul music) for highest quality/clarity for a newbie like myself in audio world? And as far as i understood it is not possible to use amp/dac or soundcard with wireless headphones? I am in between PXC 550 or Momentum 2.0 wireless over-ear for now, but open to any suggestions, like open-pack headphones using amp/dac(hd 660s or etc) but with opportunity cost of being wired. Is the difference worth it?
I currently use gaming headset Logitech G933 which is not bad in terms of sound quality and virtual 7.1 surround immersiveness and also convenient because of being wireless. Recently i found out that headphones are much superior to any high-end headsets,which i bought being impressed by their side marketing points which i don’t even make use of. All i care is sound reality/quality and immersiveness, while being convenient and comfortable to certain extent. I really liked the looks and conmfort of Sennheiser pxc 550 and momentum 2.0 wireless and they both cost exactly the same here in the UK(270£). What you guys would recommend to a person like me? Which headphone should i get?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 2
I am planning on getting a new headphone, but have a few concerns. Which headphone would be the best for mainly gaming and some movie/music(I mainly listen to pop and soul music) for highest quality/clarity for a newbie like myself in audio world?

Depends on what kind of compromises you'd rather have for the tonal qualities and imaging, plus what sort of amplification it will require.

And as far as i understood it is not possible to use amp/dac or soundcard with wireless headphones?

BT transmits digital audio so a BT-equipped headphone will already have a DAC in it to decode the audio, although it will have a simpler circuit on both than an all-out DAC and HPamp, not to mention low power output on the amp circuit since it uses a battery that has to power the BT receiver as well, usually an integrated audio chip like what you find on smartphones albeit likely running uninhibited by smartphone firmware designed to maximize battery life particularly for reviews and tests not done by audiophiles who will gladly make the trade (although that's where rooting comes in).

I am in between PXC 550 or Momentum 2.0 wireless over-ear for now, but open to any suggestions, like open-pack headphones using amp/dac(hd 660s or etc) but with opportunity cost of being wired. Is the difference worth it?

That depends on the user. For one, wireless headphones tend to have high enough sensitivity on the drivers that way they can get really loud for the target market to easily hear them as "better" even if most likely don't have as smooth a response or as good imaging as a similarly priced headphone. The latter doesn't factor in the cost of the amplifier; on top of which, regular users may not necessarily hear the difference between even an improperly driven wired headphone vs some bass boosted wireless ones, or maybe even dislike a properly driven headphone that has a flatter response.

For gaming though a dedicated wireless gaming headphone (like the ones from Corsair, Steel Series, etc) will have the soundcard gimmickry built into the transmission unit hooked up to the PC/console, which, as far as simulating surround sound cues are concerned, will work better for simulated multi channel audio in games than a wired headphone that does well in 2ch music imaging but doesn't have a soundcard with the same virtual surround program.

Basically if your main concerns are gaming and movies with music being third, and you're considering wireless, might as well go with the Steel Series option. From what I've read the response is smooth enough so it's not like getting a totally crap driver and you're overpaying for the soundcard or lighting effects or the marketing for "gaming" peripherals.

I currently use gaming headset Logitech G933 which is not bad in terms of sound quality and virtual 7.1 surround immersiveness and also convenient because of being wireless. Recently i found out that headphones are much superior to any high-end headsets,which i bought being impressed by their side marketing points which i don’t even make use of. All i care is sound reality/quality and immersiveness, while being convenient and comfortable to certain extent. I really liked the looks and conmfort of Sennheiser pxc 550 and momentum 2.0 wireless and they both cost exactly the same here in the UK(270£). What you guys would recommend to a person like me? Which headphone should i get?

Maybe just stick with your headphones. If you find they're great for immersive gaming and you can't really pin point what's wrong with the sound for music anyway then might as well stick with what you have that works well for what you're doing with them rather than just blowing money out of sheer curiosity for one application that doesn't even rank that high on your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back