Need help in picking up a first headphones [Request Help]
Jan 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Maker

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, so i would need help in picking up my first "pro" headphones. So i would want from them to be very comfortable so i could wear them literally whole day without noticing of any pain becouse i am a gamer. About the budget, well i could go up to 180$ , but if you recommend me any good ones that are around 130$ i don´t mind. A lot of good headphones that are "cheap" in america/europe, are expensive in my country, some of them are even double priced. Please don´t recommend me M50 (they are for 200$ here).

Budget-130$ or 180$
Source-I will plug them into Steelseries USB Soundcard
Isolation-I don´t need isolation
Type of Headphones-Full Sized
Tonality-Balanced
Past Headset- Creative Fatal1ty, they were really comfortable and no sweaty ears
Music-Rock,PoP,DnB and many more (almost everything)

I was thinking about Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (they are only for 140$),Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ohm (propably biggest favourite, but they are expensive, Will i use their full potential with this soundcard?),KRK KNS-8400 (maybe :D?? i wasn´t reading a lot about them),M-Audio Studiophile Q40(also don´t know). So could you recommend me any of these ? or Different headphones ? Please recommend me some headphones that i will use their full potential with my soundcard . Thank you !!!

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 12
First question where are you from? That will help people greatly.

I can start with a suggestion of DT990pro if you can snag them for about the same price as the DT770pro  if you don't mind open.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Im from Czech Republic (Europe). I´l have a look at DT990pro, thanks. Id rather have closed but yeah, i will check it out.
You can find my prices at www.heureka.cz and find the product, everything that goes up to 3600 is too much.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 12
Well all the headphones you listed are good choices with what you want to use them for. Now that I think about it the Beyers will work but the bass might bit be a bit flabby from the steel series USB card because they need a little power to tighten the bass up. By no means will they be awful though.
As a gamer though I think the Dt770 or Dt990 will have a greater soundstage or imaging depth compared to the other two. You will have to do some research on KNK and Q40 to double check I am not talking out my rear end. The Beyers also both have velour ear pads. Much better then pleather ear pads for comfort in my opinion.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 12
Well do you think it´s good idea to get Dt990 pro becouse they have 250Ohm and what i have read is that with 250Ohm you need amp or good soundcard to use their full potential.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Well do you think it´s good idea to get Dt990 pro becouse they have 250Ohm and what i have read is that with 250Ohm you need amp or good soundcard to use their full potential.

You would want an amp down the road. I used mine for about 6 months without it. Even ran it off my iphone at full volume but I don't like things to be super loud anyways.
You could step into a cheaper amp later like a Fiio E9, Schiit Magni, or O2. Those $100 amps will definitely power the 250ohms to there full potential. You don't have to do it from day 1 though. The 250ohm isn't like a AKG K701 or HiFiMan HE500, it wants power it doesn't need power.

I will check that site out again later from a computer my phone really hates it.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Alright, thank you. I will propably buy 250ohm version and later i will buy an amp. Another thing i would like to ask. Are closed headphones comfortable so i could wear them 12hours without noticing ? I am currently using Creative Fatal1ty, but i don´t know if they are closed or open. They don´t fully cover my ear but only a little bit, and they are very comfortable. I also should mention that i have big ears, then i have read that there are differences between closed and open sound "quality?" headphones, is that true? I will study Dt770 vs Dt990 more later, but now i would like to know what do you think about closed vs open and what would you recommend me.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 12
I can use my closed Creative Aurvana Live for about 2 hours before it gets to hot and sweaty. I don't have a closed with velour on it though (DT770). I am sure they are more comfortable. The sound between my CAL and DT990pros is a whole lot different. The soundstage is the biggest thing between the two headphones. The DT990s definitely have more air between the instruments vs my closed phones. Gaming is the same everything sounds further away in a good way. Placement is much better. But again I don't have the DT770s.

Check out this link too for more gaming style help. He has done about 20+ headphone reviews for gaming with Dolby Headphone including the DT770 and DT990. There are so many people with WAY more experience then me in that thread.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
And can you wear your DT990pros for a long time without taking them off your head becouse of pressure or any pain ?

This is dependent on the person as well as the headphone. Everyone has a different head and a different comfort level associated with it. The most comfortable headphones in the world for one person may be completely uncomfortable for another. You really have to try it yourself to really know if your going to be able to wear it for hours and hours without discomfort or pain.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Ok, im propably to try these DT 990 Pro 250Ohm. Is there anything else you would like to tell me about them :D ? If not i´ll have to give big thanks to Hailin for help !

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 12
I find them extremely comfortable. I just wore them for 8 hours on Saturday playing Far Cry 3 to finish the game up. Mani is very right though each head is different.

I hope you enjoy them and if you don't hope you can easily return them. :) But I am really hoping for the first part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back