Need help in figuring out how to connect iBasso DX200 to..
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gstepic

Head-Fier
Sennheiser HD800 S and an external amp, maybe Woo Augio WA2 or one of Schiit amps. I see where the HD800 S comes with an XL4 balanced cable and the iBasso Dx200 has a balanced output connection with the amp1, but from the images I have seen it does not look like the XL4 cable would connect directly to DAP.

Could someone provide a link for the type of connection I need to search for?

Also, how would I connect DX200 to an amp? I have looked at photos of the amps I am considering and it looks like there is a left and right connection while there is only a single line output on the IBasso DAP.

I am not an idiot when it comes to figuring things out but I am kind of new to high end audio and I can clearly see it is not just a matter of connecting those simple little 3.5mm (or whatever size the typical DAP to headphone connection is) connections. My first priority is to get the iBasso and Sennheiser to work together. I am still researching amps (may not need one but from what I have been researching a decent amp could make something great even greater0.

Gary

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Connect the SE to Line Out on the AMP1, then the RCA end to the headphone amp. Plug the HD800S 4-pin XLR cable to the headphone amp.

This is assuming you have a balanced amp like the Schiit Jotunheim to begin with. Otherwise, you need a 4-pin XLR to 1/4 adapter.

...Or you can buy a 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm adapter and play it straight from the AMP1's balanced out.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 6

Connect the SE to Line Out on the AMP1, then the RCA end to the headphone amp. Plug the HD800S 4-pin XLR cable to the headphone amp.

This is assuming you have a balanced amp like the Schiit Jotunheim to begin with. Otherwise, you need a 4-pin XLR to 1/4 adapter.

...Or you can buy a 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm adapter and play it straight from the AMP1's balanced out.

Thanks, this really helps. I am going to try and see how the HD800 S works listening directly from the iBasso DX200 balanced out connection. Once everything is burned in and I get used to the sound I will add an amp to see if it really makes a difference. I am leaning toward the Mjolner 2. As I mentioned my other choice is the Woo Audio WA2,

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 6

I found some connectors but still a little confused. There are male and female versions. From what I am seeing the XLR cables that comes with the HD800 S has a left and right connection that go to the headphone, The single end is what goes to the DX200 but is it a male or female connection on the XLR cable? Maybe I need to find a review that has a detailed photo of the cable that comes with the HD800 S.

Gary

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 6
I found some connectors but still a little confused. There are male and female versions. From what I am seeing the XLR cables that comes with the HD800 S has a left and right connection that go to the headphone, The single end is what goes to the DX200 but is it a male or female connection on the XLR cable? Maybe I need to find a review that has a detailed photo of the cable that comes with the HD800 S.

Gary

The cable is male. You are looking for a female 4-pin XLR to male 2.5mm adapter. - EXAMPLE

If AMP1 is not enough, you can also consider buying AMP3 (or wait for AMP4) which has more power to drive such headphones.

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 6
Darn you! I had ordered the right cable but canceled the order to spend $40 more for same thing. Seriously, I may have never noticed the difference between the two cables but I also know any system is as good as the weakest link. Out of all the links this was a cheap one so don't mind spending more to make certain I am getting best quality, thanks for the link.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back