Need help in choosing the right earphones
Sep 9, 2010 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sg01

New Head-Fier
I am a newbie in this area and would need your recommendation for a good pair of earphones. I had a blackberry before and bought a blackberry earphones with controls ($80). I now have an iPhone 4 and unfortunately the controls on the earphones do not work (just the stop/play button but not the volume). This time around, if possible, I would like to buy a decent pair of earphones that is compatible with other devices, not just the iPhone, so I can still use it later on.

I've read through some reviews and threads and have read that the Klipsch s4i is a good choice. However, the threads/reviews were dated in mid-2009. Is this still a good choice at this time or are there better ones out now? I also saw the Shure 115m+ in the store today and also considering that. Another brand that keeps on popping up is the Etymotic.

I know the price of the above mentioned products ranges from $100-180 and may have significant quality differences. So maybe if someone could steer me to the right choice.

Thanks a bunch.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Depending on what music you like to listen to and your sound preference you have lots of options. I don't think the s4i is worth the price with the host of lesser known competition just around it, a lot of people like them though. The etymotic mc3/mc5 has been getting some love around here recently, bearing in mind flavour of the month fever as it's fairly new it still sounds quite the deal, have a read. mc5 and mc3 are the same, just mc3 has a mic/controls.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510261/totally-insane-quality-for-a-totally-insane-price-the-etymotic-mc5-mini-review
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511542/my-first-review-etymotic-mc3-going-in-deep-56k-warning

My favourite in the range would have to be the beyerdynamic mmx100/dtx100, though there is less written about that here. There is another etymotic you could consider, the hf2/hf3/hf5. There are others but at the moment I can't recall which one's, i'm sure someone else will pipe up.

If you don't have a specific budget in mind i'd at least set a limit otherwise hanging around this place can become expensive very quickly. Also what music do you listen to?

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
... If you don't have a specific budget in mind i'd at least set a limit otherwise hanging around this place can become expensive very quickly. Also what music do you listen to?

My budget... good question... maybe around $150.  I will be using these earphones of course for my phone calls, podcasts, movies while traveling and music on my commute.  I mostly listen to pop music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back