Need help identifying my late grandfather's equipment
Sep 30, 2021 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

virustwin

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. If I'm in the wrong place hopefully an administrator will move this post for me. So my grandfather passed away a few years ago and my aunt (his daughter) was going through his stuff recently and happened upon a couple big boxes full of vacuum tubes. I know he was an electrician bit he never dabbled audio as far as I know. I did Google some of them but I can't find out what they're for or if they are worth keeping, selling or throwing/giving away. I'm hoping some of the more experienced headfi-ers here can help me out. I'll post some pics I took and I can get more pic if necessary. Thanks so much in advance

-T

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210930-185507_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930-185507_Gallery.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210930-185459_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930-185459_Gallery.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210930-185448_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930-185448_Gallery.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Could be very valuable or not so much depends on the type , so we would need a list of type codes to have some idea of value
IE 5AR4 , 6AS7G , 5U4G etc these will be printed on the boxes and the valves
Best to go by the code on the valve as the box may not be original

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 7
They might not just be vuluable to audiophiles either. Someone into vintage electronics like ham radio, old radios and things like that might also be interested in them. I would suggest finding a forum or someone to talk to that deals in tubes. Just because they might not be good for a tube amp or something doesn't mean someone else might want some of them for other projects.

Good luck with them and sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks Paul. I got them back today (my aunt was holding on to them) so tomorrow I'm going to inventory them and get all the numbers and collate etc. I'll definitely take you up on your advice in the mean time and see if I can find some forums for vacuum tube enthusiasts and such. And thanks to for the sentiments my friend. I do miss the old man

Thanks guys
-T

Oct 1, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 7
Dogmatrix, thanks for the advice. I'll get them out this weekend and do an inventory of them and then I'll post them back here.

Much thanks
-T
Some tips for young players and apologies if I seem to be insulting your intelligence

Everything has some value , even obviously expired tubes where the silver deposit on the glass has turned white indicating loss of vacuum can have value for art or display

Any sealed boxes should remain so

Do not clean anything , the print , labels and boxes will have become dry and brittle

Handle only as needed , try not to touch with naked hands use gloves or a cloth keeping away from any labels or printing

Perhaps think about photographing each tube that way they will only need be disturbed once reducing any potential degradation . Pay particular attention to codes printed or etched into the glass or base even underneath between the pins . Internal structure can also be important

Oct 2, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Some tips for young players and apologies if I seem to be insulting your intelligence

Everything has some value , even obviously expired tubes where the silver deposit on the glass has turned white indicating loss of vacuum can have value for art or display

Any sealed boxes should remain so

Do not clean anything , the print , labels and boxes will have become dry and brittle

Handle only as needed , try not to touch with naked hands use gloves or a cloth keeping away from any labels or printing

Perhaps think about photographing each tube that way they will only need be disturbed once reducing any potential degradation . Pay particular attention to codes printed or etched into the glass or base even underneath between the pins . Internal structure can also be important
Wow. Absolutely no offence taken. This is exactly why experienced contributors (like yourself and Paul) are so valuable to these communities and neophytes like me. Everything you said here makes sense. Knowing how to handle them actually makes me feel better about the sentimental value attached to them. Knowing my grandfather, he would prefer they go to use than stay in a box. Thanks to you guys I may have the opportunity to maintain their value and find proper places to donate or sell etc. I'm really grateful to you guys. I'm always open to advice

Thanks again
-T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back