Need help ... Hifiman's HE-500 or HE-5LE?
Aug 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Loko-Pillo

Head-Fier
Considering that I have EF-5 Amp already, so (I think) the power needed to run both is present.

So the comparison is mainly sound-wise.

PS: Using ODAC with the EF-5.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you pataburd and Amorgan for your help! :)

Hmm...seems like a close one...depends on musical preferences it seems...well I think I lean towards the 5LEs more cause I, generally speaking, prefer laid-back "analytical" type of music

I was just cruising the forum and I started thinking...

Did any of you hear the HE-6...is it a big difference, justifying such a price jump?

Considering I'll keep the EF5.

Leaning towards the HE-6...just because its newer (and more expensive?) than the 5LE (following the "so it MUST be better" illogical logic)

...appreciate any help...  : )

Thankee!

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 7
L-P,
After a/b-ing the 5LE and the 500, I had a chance to pick up the HE-6.  God willing, I'll try to post some formal impressions.  What I've heard so far from the HE-6 is indeed excellent: greater LF and HF extension, more bass presence--not sure how I feel about that one yet--and what sounds like a a livelier midrange.

Swapped out the stock cable from the 5LE with the HE-6 cable, which has brought about a signal improvement to the 5LE's presentation: cleaner--much, much cleaner, smoother, more detailed and airy.  Tonal purity is truly exceptional.  Boy, do I like the 5LE!  : )  [Listening to Toots Thielemans' Footsteps, the title track never sounded better.]

Also bought the Headphonelounge UPOCC recable (silver to ground, copper to ground).  A preliminary audition suggests a capital improvement on the stock HE-6 cable.

pataburd

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 7
The HE-6 marry the best of the 5LE (extension, balance, neutrality, midrange purity and overall coherency) and the 500 (liquidity, sweetness, spriteliness and bass presence), while improving upon both in the process.  The soundfield is full, expansive and deep.  NOTHING is missing.  

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 7
HE-5LE, it's cheaper and you don't get any less quality, it's just a matter of tastes going to the HE-500.

Amp-wise it'd probably cost you the same thing at the end of the day sadly. I recommend the Schiit Asgard for a good amp, if you need a good DAC/amp I recommend the NFB-12 or Nuforce HDP with it

If you don't wanna amp shop, HE-500 is going to be better for you. It's a darker version with a little more bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back