NEED HELP GRADO 325I or SENN 650
Jun 8, 2005 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

milesbeyondjazz

500+ Head-Fier
I just got a major credit card (my first one in seven years,due to a failed business venture that pretty much ruined my credit,but thats another story.)So now I'm going to get some new headphones.I had made up my mind on the 325I but after talking to a guy at headroom,I think I might like the 650s better.I don't have and amp yet,but I see one in the future.My Sony receiver powers my Beyer DT770s pretty good,so I figure it could handle the power demands of the 650s.At least untill I get an amp.I just can't make up my mind whuch one to get.
confused.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 13
Your DT770 are 80 ohms while the HD650 is 300 i think. I dont think your receiver will drive them well, youll need a good headphone amp. If you like the SR125 sound but would like its defect fixed, then I think youll enjoy the sr325i.

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 13
I was worried about the receiver having enough power for the 650s.And I do like the sound of the 125s except for the lack of bass.I think I'll get the 325s.

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 13
As for the headphones, if you are considering the 650 I would also look at the Amazon deal on the refurbished sennheiser hd600's. Much to my surprise I like the sound of the 600 just as well, if not better, than the hd650. The refurbed hd600's I have look and feel new and perform flawlessly.The refurbished hd600's currently cost $189.94.
600smile.gif

www.amazon.com

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 13
In a choice between those two -- 325i and 650 -- I'd go with the 650s. I found the 325i to be fatally flawed to my ears -- too bright. I also am guessing that the your receiver will drive the 650s better than the 325is. The typical high impedence of a receiver headphone jack could muddy the 325i's sound.

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 13
Well, having just picked up both, I can offer my thoughts...

The 325i is definitely more forward. I find it too bright w/ my PPAv2, OK with my friend's M^3 and fantastic with the Millett Hybrid prototype I've been using. I never understood what people meant by the "speed" of headphones, but now I do and the 325i is amazing in this respect. The detail is great, and when paired with the right amp, the can really shine. Personally I prefer these with Male vocals and guitar-driven music. Female vocals, even with the tubes, sound a little thin, and piano lacks any real impact.

The 650, while laid back, was a pleasant suprise in the sense that I find more detail in the high-end than the 580's they're replacing. I didn't find the treble roll-off I had read about so often on the forum. These phones are SMOOTH while still maintaining a high level of interest. I'm amazed people call these cans boring. While not as lively as the 325i's, they're very engaging. The midrange really shines, giving me an excellent option for female vocals. These pair really well with my PPAv2, sound good with the M^3, but are a little muddled and uninteresting with the Millett.

How all this relates to using a receiver headphone out, I don't know. But both cans can shine when paired with the right source and amp. So if you like the Grado sound, that might be a better option, knowing you can upgrade your amplification down the road.

HTH,
Ian

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 13
You will be suprised how much bass the SR125s have. When I sold mine to a friend he got some flats for them and bossted the bass on his reciever they became monsters. The SR325i still has more bass than those but if you would like some viriety in you cans, go with the 650. If you like the 125s alot get the 325i. I think that the 125 and 325i have a very similar sound signiture. especially in the highs and mids.

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
I think both your cans would benefit alot from a more detailled and faster source, especially the millet hybrid + hd650 pair.

Well, since I enjoy the 650's with the PPA so much, the Millett will most likely see primary duty driving teh 325i's. The Denon DCM-560 is serving as my temporary source as my PPA hasn't been cased yet... The case is in, the board and PS are built and the knobs are ordered, so it's just casework to be done. I'll be using the DVM-3700 in my home theater as my source once I get everything wrapped up. To be honest, the Denons offers a very refined sound... their ALPHA processing really seems to work for me, especially with my Boston Acoustics speakers and Outlaw receiver. So if having a source that works so well with my speaker rig means the flexibility is little limited with my headphone rig, I can live with each pair of cans having their own "dedicated" amp!

Regarding the 325i, I'm very impressed with the amount, detail and impact of the bass. GOOD STUFF!!!

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 13
Here is a link to a review I wrote comparing the MS-2i to the 650. I did most of my listening on an Arcam integrated amplifier (like a receiver). I have not heard the 325i but people around here say the MS-2i has better tonal balance than the 325i (less bright).

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...view+ms-2i+650

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for the link.I have decided to go with the 650s.I plan on getting an amp later,but I think the headphone jack from my receiver will be ok for now.If not I'll just have to get a amp sooner.
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 13
Glad I could help. A receiver should be fine at first (ignorance is bliss
rolleyes.gif
). I have Sony receiver that sounds ok. The only problem is the noise floor is too high so there is some background hiss. But I think a good amp is a must with 650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back